SASS Wire Forum

Military Meme's

PowderRiverCowboy

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Which is worse? To be there without shower shoes? Or to not be there at all because you're still looking for your shower shoes?

Doesn’t matter. Either way you’re ****ed. Believe it! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2023 at 2:24 PM, PowderRiverCowboy said:

IMG_2966.jpeg

I do it myself, and I'm perfectly OK with others doing it. In fact, I'm glad they do and wish every veteran would. As a Veteran Service Officer, I can attest I still have far too many who come into my office and begin by saying "I didn't do anything important...," or something that downplays or is deprecating toward their service. They don't believe they deserve the benefits, usually the service connected disability benefits, they are owed. Stuff like the above doesn't help.

I'll cease my rant and have more coffee.

Edited by DocWard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I understand that now - I haven't been on a military base in a good 20 years - they make you stop and show ID. You don't have a sticker.

But back in the day, if that sticker said you were an officer they saluted you at the gate.

For all that guy at the gate knows, that woman driving the car with the sticker that says Lieutenant Colonel on it - she is not Lieutenant Colonel Jones's wife. She is Lieutenant Colonel Jones. So he salutes.

At least that's the way they did it in the Air Force in the '80s and 90s.

• Like 3

image.thumb.jpeg.a933ea60e4eb97b59a8ccea49fbd6757.jpeg

This one made me laugh. When I was in the Navy we had an Admiral that loved missile launching systems. His name was Admital Train. Often when we pulled back in to home port, Norfolk, VA, he would show up at some point and we would go down into the launcher and operate the systems so he could watch the operation of the ready service rings that held the missiles. We would put TSAMs on the rails and move the topside portion of the launcher. I saw he was most fascinated by all of the red LEDs and indicators showing the launcher position and active electronics. We couldn’t have a better friend to Combat Systems than Admiral Train. He also liked the gun mounts.

Anyway, I said all that to say this:

When I worked at Hughes Aircraft I worked on a project for an anti-satellite weapon for the Air Force. 
Once we had the test system up and running and were testing the actual missile components a General from the Air Force wanted to see our testing facility and the test centers we built to test the sensors and guidance for the weapons. 
On Friday afternoon the General came in and was unimpressed. He was agitated and rude and he told us that he was coming back Monday and he had better see some improvement on our test racks. My boss asked what he wanted to see and assured him the system was functioning. The General said “I want to see something. I wasn’t to see some action. Something that tells me what’s going on.”

As soon as he left with his entourage a meeting was called.  Our Director wanted answers on how to meet the requirements the General laid out. All the engineers were baffled.
That’s when I remembered Admiral Train and his joy at seeing all the LEDs, meters and indicators lighting and changing. 
I brought this up and immediately work began to figure out how we could fabricate indicator panels with red, green and yellow LEDs, lighted meter indicators and piezo audible alerts. We worked the entire weekend in the test racks. 
Monday when the General arrived he was absolutely elated with all the twinkly lights and digital meters and indicators changing throughout the testing process. He thanked us all and left with a grin on his face.

From Friday afternoon until Monday morning I clocked 50 hours of OT. I was tired but the General was happy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/10/2023 at 11:10 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

IMG_2962.thumb.jpeg.14cbb7f762e59b23eb44531bca0c101a.jpeg.a08cdb9781811b98f6d21cdaeadd9ca8.jpeg

And like the Men's Dept., they always have pants half off. Oh, yes, I went there.

• Haha 3

On 11/18/2023 at 6:03 AM, DocWard said:

I do it myself, and I'm perfectly OK with others doing it. In fact, I'm glad they do and wish every veteran would. As a Veteran Service Officer, I can attest I still have far too many who come into my office and begin by saying "I didn't do anything important...," or something that downplays or is deprecating toward their service. They don't believe they deserve the benefits, usually the service connected disability benefits, they are owed. Stuff like the above doesn't help.

I'll cease my rant and have more coffee.

I signed a blank check.  Thank God I didn't have to use it all.  A lot of good people did and I thahk God for them, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I signed a blank check.  Thank God I didn't have to use it all.  A lot of good people did and I thahk God for them, too.

While packing for one of our moves my daughter came to help. While she and my wife were going through boxes my daughter found a document in a light blue folder. She opened it and then she said “Dad, you had a will made up when you were in the Navy?”

I said “Yes, we all did.”

She looked at it again and said “Why?”

”Because, if you die in the service they need to know who to send the check to and the letters of condolence.”

“It has Mom’s name as the beneficiary. They would send her a check? How much?”

”Fifty grand.”

She just looked at my wife then me and she refolded the document and put it back in the box.

Later I saw her hugging my wife. Apparently she was a little upset by this Will she found.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2