SASS Wire Forum

SOLD: For Sale [non SASS]:  Brass Cannon with .75 bore about 14 inches long

SOLD 

Thank you for looking.

For Sale:  Brass Cannon with .75 bore about 14 inches long

I have for sale one brass Cannon with .75 bore mounted on a wood carriage.  The cannon barrel is about 14 inches long from muzzle to hind end finale.  The widest area of the breach is about 2.42 inches and the smallest area at the muzzle is about 1.65 inches.  The measurement across the trunnions is about 4 inches.  Recommended charge is 1/3 ounce [about 145 grains] of black powder behind a .715 lead ball [or as a blank charge].   When I bought this cannon in 2018, I was given the following information: “One of 25 cannons built in the 1960s and 70s by a man who was trained as a shop teacher at UC Santa Barbara. He flew 83 missions in a torpedo dive bomber in WW2 (shot down twice and won the DFC), and decided teaching would be too tame, so he became a career FBI agent under Hoover and built cannons for a hobby. Each cannon has been test fired with a triple powder charge and triple lead cannon balls. They were all cast and line bored by a Los Angeles foundry and then hand filed and sanded to a fine finish. The maker is now 95 years old and doesn't need them anymore.”

Please look at the numerous photos to make your own evaluation of this item.  And, yes, the six lead balls in the photos are included with the sale.

Price:  $500 shipped in the lower 48 States.

No shipping to Alaska or Hawaii due to shipping cost.

Thank you for looking.

Professor Thoreau

SASS Life #2611

IMG_8119.JPG

IMG_8120.JPG

IMG_8121.JPG

IMG_8122.JPG

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8124.JPG

IMG_8125.JPG

IMG_8126.JPG

IMG_8127.JPG

IMG_8129.JPG

IMG_8130.JPG

IMG_8131.JPG

IMG_8132.JPG

IMG_8133.JPG

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8137.JPG

Edited by Professor Thoreau, SASS 2611
Sold
  • Like 7

Hello Capt'n Rudy,

Sorry, this sale does not include anything besides what is shown: the cannon, carriage, and the six lead balls.   The ramrod etc. would be fairly easy to make.  I have included a photo of a "safety ramrod" that I made and use for a larger bore cannon.  This design allows seating the charge etc. without having your hand or any other body parts in the line of any potential misfire.  It also allows the ramrod to slip out or your grip if it is sent downrange due to a misfire.   For other cannon's that I have fired, I use "cannon fuse" inserted through the touch hole into the powder charge and light it from the side with a match, again, never positioning any body parts above the touch hole (Smile).  

Yes, they are fun.

Regards,

Professor Thoreau

IMG_8143.JPG

Hi Will,

Thank you for your interest.

If I dismount the cannon tube from the carriage, it looks like I can get each part into a separated flat rate box.  I would need an additional $20 over the $500 price to cover the extras shipping costs.  So, yes, I would entertain shipping to Hawaii with an extra $20 charge (Smile).  Please let me know if that can work for you.

Thanks again for your inquiry.

Professor Thoreau

7 hours ago, Professor Thoreau, SASS 2611 said:

Hi Will,

Thank you for your interest.

If I dismount the cannon tube from the carriage, it looks like I can get each part into a separated flat rate box.  I would need an additional $20 over the $500 price to cover the extras shipping costs.  So, yes, I would entertain shipping to Hawaii with an extra $20 charge (Smile).  Please let me know if that can work for you.

Thanks again for your inquiry.

Professor Thoreau

Aloha,

Your terms are excellent & thank you for the consideration!

PM Sent to arrange payment, I WILL TAKE IT if you please!

~Will