SASS Wire Forum

More BP and Percussion Cap questions

Pat Riot

Some of you may remember this thread:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/354206-homemade-percussion-caps-have-you-ever-made-your-own/#comment-4526290

I was looking into caps and powder again this evening. One website put a link in my evening when I found I would have to buy 25 pounds (a case) if I wished to buy powder, but I found  I can buy 5 pounds at Buffalo Arms. I can mix and match if I like. The powder is Schuetzen. I thought maybe 4# of 2F and 1# of 4F. Not sure about that yet. There may be a flintlock in my future come January. 

Here’s where I have a bit of a head scratcher. The Traditions manual says for my Kentucky Rifle I can use #11 caps or Musket Caps. The musket caps are the caps with 4 wings.

What is the purpose of these wings?

Do all “musket caps” have these wings?

Do these wings come off and muck up the works while firing?

I can save some money if I buy Musket caps instead of #11 caps. 

https://www.buffaloarms.com/musket-percussion-caps-schmusketcap.html

#11 caps

https://www.buffaloarms.com/1000-rws-11-percussion-caps-rws11.html

Your help, input or jokes at my expense are appreciated. :D

This is like starting a new hobby…it is starting a new hobby, I guess. It appears I have a lot to learn. 

Do any of you know of a good book on the subject of Percussion and Flintlock rifles?

I always assumed that the purpose of the wings on the musket cap was to make the physical cap larger, and therefore easier to grab when you're trying to quickly load your gun in the middle of a firefight.

Seriously. Which one would you prefer to be trying to dig out of your cap pouch in a hurry?

00PercussionCapComposite.jpg.c415f48050781999ecdc32cff374dd5a.jpg

I believe when otto finally gets sent to heck, it would be really nice if he took photo flucket with him.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Do any of you know of a good book on the subject of Percussion and Flintlock rifles?

Sam Fadala published a bunch of books on shooting black powder.  Amazon has some; do a search on his name.  Sometimes they turn up at used book stores if you have any near you.

The Caplock Muzzleloading Rifle by Ned Roberts (he invented the .257 Roberts) is strictly percussion guns, but good reading.

Sorry, can't help with flintlocks.  Never owned one.  Searching old shooting forum posts should give some information.

There's literally a huge difference between a percussion cap and a musket cap. The musket cap uses a very large nipple. Percussion caps differ between brands. A CCI #11 is the same size as a Remington #10. I feel Remington makes a superior cap, but unobtanium lately! The CCIs are pretty poorly made lately, but have all gone bang on my Hawken, with exception of the ones with no compound in them. Look in them before capping!!

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

See if any other shooters, cowboy or otherwise, would be willing to go in on 25 pounds

Alternatively there is http://www.blackpowderva.com in Winchester, VA 

I found that store in Virginia. I plan to go over there in a couple of weeks. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Grafs is usually a little cheaper, especially their Graf’s branded BP(it’s really Schuetzen).

Thank you. I forgot about Graf’s. They have the best prices and will allow orders of 4 pounds vs 25 pounds of black powder.

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Sam Fadala published a bunch of books on shooting black powder.  Amazon has some; do a search on his name.  Sometimes they turn up at used book stores if you have any near you.

The Caplock Muzzleloading Rifle by Ned Roberts (he invented the .257 Roberts) is strictly percussion guns, but good reading.

Sorry, can't help with flintlocks.  Never owned one.  Searching old shooting forum posts should give some information.

As soon as I read your post a little tiny light came on in the tiny little recesses of my tiny little brain and some tiny little wheels began turning. Something familiar about the name Fadala…

Then it hit me! I had one box of books in my gun room that hadn’t gone through yet since our move and what do ya know…Lookie what I found! 
IMG_3457.thumb.jpeg.19b09e64ec35ccebcdfceae3fcc9ba4d.jpeg

I bought these years ago and forgot about them. I also went ahead and bought a couple of books off Amazon. 

I must admit, I bought this one because of the picture on the cover. 
IMG_3459.thumb.jpeg.3a5370a749cc27a36eb195466f041f7f.jpeg

IMG_3460.thumb.jpeg.f31369fbd8b067011a476b9ff386a426.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

For powder don't forget to attend one of the many NSSA shoots in your area. Beside vendors that carry real BP you will find several lifetimes worth of experience available for the asking. 

I’m a little confused. I looked up NSSA and all I can find is the Nat’l Skeet Shooters Assoc.

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

You got to put that hyphen in there. It's not NSSA. It's N-SSA. Makes a difference. :P

Yep! I typed “n-ssa” and the search brought up results for North-South Skirmish Association came right up. 

Archived