SASS Wire Forum

Carry of firearms on Indian reservations

largo casey #19191

If you are planning on being on or crossing Indian Reservations be very careful.We are surronded by reservations in the 4 corners area. The NavajoJicarilla Apache& 2 different Ute tribes.You have to have your guns locked up & unloaded.They can confiscate your guns & a good chance of not getting them back.You need to check the laws of any reservation you will be on.Even a lot of the locals don't know what the laws are.

Largo

Here in Prescott, AZ there is a Sportsman's Warehouse selling guns and ammo on the Yavapai Indian Reservation shopping center.

Have seen folks even open carry, much less concealed carry, in businesses on this reservation land.

Definitely check on your local Res rules.

1 hour ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Here in Prescott, AZ there is a Sportsman's Warehouse selling guns and ammo on the Yavapai Indian Reservation shopping center.

Have seen folks even open carry, much less concealed carry, in businesses on this reservation land.

Definitely check on your local Res rules.

But Sportsmans Warehouse tole me I had to leave my gun at the front counter.

That was two years ago and I haven't been back.

BTW, do you ever go to Zeke's on Thursday morning for breakfast....and if you do why don't I know you?  :o

7 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Reservations are Sovereign Nations and can impose any laws they want. Better to check the local Res than get your gun taken away and you jailed.

This is all you really need to know.

Reservation rules can vary within the res. Big reservations like the Yakama have ordinary cities, towns, and highways on them. Tens of thousands of non-Indian residents and travelers covered by ordinary state laws. But then there are very large areas where only tribal members are even allowed to set foot.

For example, one-third of Mt. Adams (one of the Cascade volcanos) belongs  to the Yakamas. You need their permit to hike through it if you are hiking around the mountain. And you stick to the trail.

Archived