SASS Wire Forum

Rossi R92 Slick Up job

MuayThaiJJ

Hey gang,

I just bought my first R92 in 357. It's a bit rough. Here are the mods I plan doing on it:

• Swapping a big lever loop.
  • Swapping and adjusting Mainspring, carrier stop spring, friction stud spring, ejector spring, trigger return spring, magazine spring.
  • Changing out rear and front sights.
  • Slick job.
  • Steel follower

I have a few questions since this is my first rodeo on a lever-action:

1. Do I need to remove the bolt, trigger/hammer assembly to swap the lever?
  2. Any tips on slicking up the action? What should I focus on and avoid?

Thanks!

N

I think you could change the lever without removing the bolt, but the bolt has to come out anyway to replace the ejector spring.  Most folks find the large loop lever slows you down for CAS, but certainly your choice.  An empty shell or dummy round snapped under the extractor against the bolt face to hold the ejector in place helps when reassembling.   Be careful polishing the locking lugs and do not remove any metal from them.  Many people have used the instructional dvd from Nate Kiowa Jones, plus he has parts: https://stevesgunz.com

On 9/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I think you could change the lever without removing the bolt, but the bolt has to come out anyway to replace the ejector spring.  Most folks find the large loop lever slows you down for CAS, but certainly your choice.  An empty shell or dummy round snapped under the extractor against the bolt face to hold the ejector in place helps when reassembling.   Be careful polishing the locking lugs and do not remove any metal from them.  Many people have used the instructional dvd from Nate Kiowa Jones, plus he has parts: https://stevesgunz.com

You're better off by calling Steves Gunz at:

(512)564-1015   steve@stevesgunz.com

He has a fantastic video you will want to buy and fix up that new 1892.

Photo attached is my Rossi Puma 1892. Add a note; I also have the regular loop for this as I have used it with the regular lever in matches.

Have fun in doing so pilgim.

Rossi Puma .38 caliber Large Loop.jpg

+1 for Nate Kiowa Jones parts & DVD for slicking up a Rossi '92

--Dawg

4 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Hey gang,

I just bought my first R92 in 357. It's a bit rough. Here are the mods I plan doing on it:

• Swapping a big lever loop.
  • Swapping and adjusting Mainspring, carrier stop spring, friction stud spring, ejector spring, trigger return spring, magazine spring.
  • Changing out rear and front sights.
  • Slick job.
  • Steel follower

I have a few questions since this is my first rodeo on a lever-action:

1. Do I need to remove the bolt, trigger/hammer assembly to swap the lever?
  2. Any tips on slicking up the action? What should I focus on and avoid?

Thanks!

N

Leave the carrier stop spring alone.  Get the DVD from https://stevesgunz.com. It will show you everything you need to do to make your 92 run flawlessly.  

Know that the Rossi 92's are sensitive to cartridge OAL. Most will not reliably feed 38 specials whe run like we do for SASS matches. You will have to experiment with bullet profiles, weights, and cartridge OAL to find what your rifle likes. 

This is a good thread discussing the pros and cons of using a 92 for SASS. 

Here is a video of what's possible with a 92 that is properly set up.

BTW you only get this fast by practicing a lot

FYI

The last Rossi I slicked up, I followed Nate's DVD instructions, then put on a Western film, filled the action with White Lithium grease, and cycled it about a thousand times while watching the film.  Stopped periodically to clean the action.  Then filled it again, & kept going.
Turned into one of the slickest 92s I've ever used.

--Dawg 

I'd say don't take off any metal you don't know how to put back. Don't buy parts if you don't know why you need them.

The current Brastech Rossi 92's are very good. Parts have been a lot better in the last bunch I've worked. They are not nearly as prone to self destruct from simply using them as is, so the white grease and just working the action a million times might be good enough to get you started. In the early days of cas/sass we did just that on the rossi pumas.

The big loop won't do you any favors in SASS and you can't twirl it at a match so that takes the fun out. But if you want it go for it, you can always put the other one back on.

Joe

The DVD is very helpful as is Marauder's gun tips site. I would caution you about doing things without understanding why.

The ejector spring is the primary cause of stiffness, not the hammer spring. Do not touch the locking bolts. There are several videos out there for dis and reassembly as well as instruction articles.

I can say after a slick kit and DVD i prefer my 92 to my competition tuned Winchester 73, the action is just perfect. Second the motion to change out the springs and delete the safety. I personally do not think the big loop helps unless you ranch with it in gloves.  Have a blast pard!

I have a new Rossi R92 Stainless in .357.  I installed the Palo Verdi Gunworks spring kit after disassembling the rifle, cleaning out the factory grease and re-lubing with my preferred lubricants (lightly).  Made a WORLD of difference in the smoothness of the action, and further use will make it even slicker.  I can recommend the spring kit as a first step.  Mine didn't need any stoning of parts to remove any rough edges, at least not that I can remember.  Good luck, good shooting and have fun!

1 hour ago, BenW said:

I have a new Rossi R92 Stainless in .357.  I installed the Palo Verdi Gunworks spring kit after disassembling the rifle, cleaning out the factory grease and re-lubing with my preferred lubricants (lightly).  Made a WORLD of difference in the smoothness of the action, and further use will make it even slicker.  I can recommend the spring kit as a first step.  Mine didn't need any stoning of parts to remove any rough edges, at least not that I can remember.  Good luck, good shooting and have fun!

Did you swap all the springs? I think I am going to just do the mainspring, friction spring, and ejector spring.

35 minutes ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Did you swap all the springs? I think I am going to just do the mainspring, friction spring, and ejector spring.

Hammer spring only. Rest was polish and not much else. Have had it quite a few years. Smooth as silk great action work created over the years of using same.

I did swap all the springs.  Just put in the whole kit since I had the rifle apart.  I figure they're in there for a reason!  Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the results on my rifle.  

Archived