SASS Wire Forum

For the low low price of only $3,000

Alpo

You too can own a cannon.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/cannons-antique-and-replica/custom-built-cannon-1-75-quot-cal-.cfm?gun_id=102411267

I have a question for Joe. You notice in the third picture on the tail (that's probably not what it's called) of the carriage or limber or whatever the hell you call the thing that a cannon rolls around on - there's a rope. Coiled up and latched in place.

What's it for?

I would have loved to have that one when I lived next to a golf course. I could practice my aim to get holes in one. :D

They say it’s made to fire golf balls and soft lead balls. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have a question for Joe. You notice in the third picture on the tail (that's probably not what it's called) of the carriage or limber or whatever the hell you call the thing that a cannon rolls around on - there's a rope. Coiled up and latched in place.

What's it for?

A cannon like that uses a friction primer. It's pushed into the primer hole at the breech, and on the command of "Fire!" pulled by the rope, or lanyard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction_primer

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

I would have loved to have that one when I lived next to a golf course. I could practice my aim to get holes in one. :D

They say it’s made to fire golf balls and soft lead balls. 

I've long wanted a miniature Coehorn mortar for that very purpose.
Fire the ball onto the green and sink it with a pool cue. :P:P:P

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

have a question for Joe. You notice in the third picture on the tail (that's probably not what it's called) of the carriage or limber or whatever the hell you call the thing that a cannon rolls around on - there's a rope. Coiled up and latched in place.

What's it for?

It's used for several things.  It's called the prolong.  Has a ring at one end and a toggle at the other end.  Primary purpose was to use it to move a gun by putting the toggle through the lunette of the trail and the crew can pull it along.  "Fire by prolong" was if you were retreating down a road and needed to keep firing.  

Other use was if you for some reason had to dismount the tube in the field, you would use it to help control the tube as you did that task.  Dig a hole about a foot square and maybe 18 inches deep, put a board or flat rock in the bottom, pull the trunnion caps, run the elevating screw all the way up, hook the prolong onto the knob and get a couple of men on it.  Then have some men push down on the muzzle, and others carefully lift up on the trail to tip the tube into the hole.  Guys on the prolong keep it from going all the way over.

27 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

A cannon like that uses a friction primer. It's pushed into the primer hole at the breech, and on the command of "Fire!" pulled by the rope, or lanyard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction_primer

Nope.  You don't use a 4 strand, 12 foot (20 foot?), 1 3/4 inch rope as a lanyard.

Lanyards are about a quarter inch cotton line with an S hook on one end and a toggle on the other. Several different lengths lanyard were carried in the limber chest.

download (1).jpeg

download.thumb.jpeg.2f29b27f842f604e7c4b473626fd41ef.jpeg

Personally, I'd go with Trail Rock Ordnance.

https://trailrockordnance.com/golf-ball-mortar/

Complete with bed, this is a 30% scale model of a CS 24 Coehorn Mortar.

Untitled-1.jpg.18b24dfcec8fee9fc2580d3cfb89e1a4.jpg

The barrel is CNC turned from solid steel and nitride coated inside for corrosion resistance, giving it a protective finish that will last for many years. It is bored and chambered to shoot golf balls, using 20 Grains of powder and achieving a range up to 300 yards.

The Golf Ball Mortar can provide hours of fun for the whole family or be a conversation piece sitting on your desk or mantel.
Complete Unit: Price: $200.00
Barrel Only: Price: $120.00
Additional Options:
US Model with Bronze Barrel: Price: $300.00
US Model with Walnut Bed: Price: $325.00

GolfBallDesk.png.c22a8ae7cfcc58d30267a73f63323a74.png

Archived