SASS Wire Forum

Quigleys rifle cover

The Shoer 27979

I am wanting to make a cover like Quigley. Anybody have a source for a pattern or a really good pic of it.  All the pics I google look terrible and I can't see much detail. 

3 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I am wanting to make a cover like Quigley. Anybody have a source for a pattern or a really good pic of it.  All the pics I google look terrible and I can't see much detail. 

SOURCE

Quigley-case-full-length.jpg

#HH-24 – QUIGLEY S SHARPS INDIAN RIFLE SCABBARD

Quigley Case

Quigley Case

As close as we could make to the original, including hand cut, laced on, suede fringe and hand painted Indian designs. Edges are double stitched and The interior is smooth pebble grain leather  to reduce moisture retention, suede crumbs, and reduces wear on the blue finish of the Sharps. Note: the scabbard is one sided suede and the fringe is two sided suede, therefore the fringe will always be a darker shade. Made from the Australian prop master’s photos from the movie, and personal examination of the original Quigley scabbard donated to the NRA. A very heavy duty quality scabbard. Color may vary because of photos taken. Our version ~ $449.95. (Price increase is pending so order yours now)

I made my own.

I traced out the rifle (Lyman Great Plains .50) on an elk split, folded it over, checked a few dozen times to see if it was going to fit (don't forget to leave enough room for the seams), and cut it out.

Put the side that would be the outside on the inside with a piece of the elk split about 8" x 18" (18" side along the seam) near the front end inside the piece with the seam side between the seams and the rest inside.  When it is sewed the panel should not be visible on the outside.  It will be right when you turn it all right side out again.  You can put another panel at the rear if that fits your fancy.

I paid a shoemaker $10.00 to sew it up for me.

I took it home, turned it back right side out and cut the panel... now on the outside... into 1/4" fringes and added some beadwork, conchos, and a feather.

It looks great and glorious and my only regret is not making it longer and including a flap to go over the butt.

I've made two more for friends, one who put some very elaborate beaded panels on his and the other who painted his with Shoshone based designs.  Both have flaps to cover the butt. 

It's not that hard to do, but time consuming.  You've heard "measure twice, cut once"?  Measure a few dozen times if that's what it takes.  Make sure you allow for seams and such, and I really do recommend finding someone who is good with a sewing machine for leather to close it up for you.

BTW, it also fits my 1860 Henry, 1866, and 1873 rifles with 24" barrels just fine and isn't too bad with a 1892 and 1894 either.

Well I have an inexpensive source for, deer, elk and Buffalo hides done that old fashion way of tanning hides. I will take your suggestion Forty Rod about finding someone to machine sew it, not sure I can hand sew it anymore.

15 hours ago, Rico Kid said:

Can’t help you with the scabbard pard, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to say howdy my brother!

Hey Rico how has life been treating you? 

Let everybody know I live in free America now, Grangeville Idaho. I was kind of forced into early retirement a few years ago so now we do some traveling around the country

Archived