SASS Wire Forum

Ducks unlimited collectible rifle ?

Vail Vigilante

So I have a Mossberg DU edition rifle in 300 Win Mag. I would say it’s about 85 percent. I want to thread it for my suppressor. But if I do will I be ruining a otherwise great collectible? I have never been afraid to otherwise care for it and use it.  What do you think?

my humble oppinion is that all of the commemorative items are worth just what you paid for them and will never be worth more , i do not think you will ruin it as i think using it is your best choice , 

i have an NRA shotgun that i converted for three gun back when , added a ten round tube and mounted a red dot to the weatherby SA 08 right after i got it and never looked back , have used it for sporting clays recently as i gave up three gun for this CAS stuff ......actually i got too old for that venue couldnt keep up with the youngsters anymore , 

9 hours ago, Vail Vigilante said:

So I have a Mossberg DU edition rifle in 300 Win Mag. I would say it’s about 85 percent. I want to thread it for my suppressor. But if I do will I be ruining a otherwise great collectible? I have never been afraid to otherwise care for it and use it.  What do you think?

Go on Gunbroker or Guns America or any other of the major online auction sites and do a search to see what it is  worth "as is"

Could also try this site: https://truegunvalue.com/

No loss, all gain if you make into what you want. It's a production rifle with a fancy label. Nothing more and nothing less. My daughter has a Mossberg .243. Darned accurate guns. 

Over the last few years (CoViD), lots of commemorative firearms showed up at the gun shows for stupid high prices. Those prices have fallen again. I think the commemoratives gained temporary increased value simply because they were available and demand for any firearm was high.

Check current prices, I'll bet it is back to being a shooter.

Most commemoritives are worth less than a plain Jane model.  And as noted once shot they are not worth even as much as a plain Jane model.  And the big factor, who the heck collects Mossbergs?

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

And the big factor, who the heck collects Mossbergs?

I've bought a couple of Mossy shotgun for kids over the years, and bought a Mossberg 464 .30-30 at a Big 5 sale years ago. More-or-less a Model 94 clone, it has given good service.

But Mossberg doesn't have that romantic cache', so to speak, that others do. Why is that?

49 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

But Mossberg doesn't have that romantic cache', so to speak, that others do. Why is that?

I think it is because Mossberg is mostly known for inexpensive shotguns.  The only Mossberg with any collector value is the little four shot Brownie derringer.

brownielead.jpg.293157330d29b55ae8934420cc5e641c.jpg

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Over the last few years (CoViD), lots of commemorative firearms showed up at the gun shows for stupid high prices. Those prices have fallen again. I think the commemoratives gained temporary increased value simply because they were available and demand for any firearm was high.

Check current prices, I'll bet it is back to being a shooter.

i think some unknowing buyers with a bit of disposable cash were shopping on line and liked the flash & sizzle , commemoratives have never commanded more than what was originally paid for them ....unless someone just had to have it , 

ill give you that there are specific collectors that might buy one [say a john wayne] but only cause they didnt have it and had to have it for a bit more than going rates , while id never scoff at anyone for buying one they really wanted to have id raise an eyebrow at paying over market rate , 

as mentioned above - its your rifle do as you please - know it wont kill a valuable piece by any means , but it might make it something you will use and that in my book makes it worth doing 

Archived