SASS Wire Forum

Lead score!

Michigan Slim

I don't know how much these weigh but I need to go shove this lump in my crotch back in. Almost all large lead from a truck shop. They were free for the asking. 

IMG_20221214_172609296.jpg

A full steel bucket weighs about 140 lbs. Hard to tell but if those 2 lead rolls on the ground are tightly wound the sheet is maybe another hundred. Good score!

Sweet! I use the roof lead for my Sharps bullets. Nice Christmas present for you.

Just now, Warden Callaway said:

Local tire shop we do business with sales for $35/bucket. But unfortunately,  a good many are zink or steel.  

Last bucket I got from a dealership was only about a quarter lead weights. This is almost all lead. Makes me giggle. I got in touch with a pard who just started casting. He's now set for a little while. I do believe I'll charge him a beer. Or two. 

Great score indeed, especially the lead sheets that are most probably pure lead!  My Grandson recently scored a couple of large sheets of pure lead from a construction job and gave them to me, probably as payback for all of my lead he put down range growing up.  It was a bear to cut them up and melt them down, but now I'm set for soft lead for quite awhile.  Many years back a good friend of mine went out of the printing business and gave me 6 buckets full of linotype which should last me the rest of my life, even after giving some away to club members.  Between the two, I can alloy up some danged fine bullets and although I'd like to get my hands on some pure tin, I have yet to spend a single cent on casting metals and have put thousands of cast bullets downrange.  Again, a great score here and it seems to be getting tougher and tougher to even find lead scrap, so good on you!  

A couple of years back I stopped at a recycling center that at that time would sale to public.  They had a buy/sale price chart posted. They took me back to the lead stash and let me pick out stuff.  I got stuff that was clean ingots but they had a lot of trotline weight sinkers. Got them.  Then they had several barrels of exray room sheets rolled up. I bought an couple.  I commented they were too big to put in my melting pot.  They said no problem and took it over to an shear and wacked it up into cinnamon rolls.

Then oldest son had a connection and scored me an ingot. I got lead.

5aa7fe6457038_Lead3March2018.jpg.92e64191920711dc10961e2b74647087.jpg1576129596_LeadFeb2021.jpg.67e521ecb7e6990cc9a1ca299cae76e8.jpg

A skil saw works very well for cutting large chunks. Set up a tarp against a wall to catch all the chips.

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

A skil saw works very well for cutting large chunks. Set up a tarp against a wall to catch all the chips.

I use a sawzall for lead pipe and big chunks. 

That's how ya do it! I'll have an all day job when I can get to it.

I can use loppers on the small stuff but some of the pipe we dig up is two inch. Most is 3/4 and 5/8. Some one inch.

Archived