SASS Wire Forum

Game cam pic

Alpo

The pic i posted was taken by Piedra Kid just a ways from my house. 

53 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The pic i posted was taken by Piedra Kid just a ways from my house. 

Is there a lion in the (your) pic?  I think I see the color, at center,  but no real outline. 

56 minutes ago, Sam Sackett said:

Yep. Cat is there. Once you see it, it is plain as day. Problem is seeing it the first time. 

Sam Sackett 

It looks a bit like a Rotweiller, except that is a cat flea below its right eye, not a dog flea. 

38 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It looks a bit like a Rotweiller, except that is a cat flea below its right eye, not a dog flea. 

It’s a bonified mountain lion. Here’s a plaster cast of a track about 10 feet from my porch. Female and a cub.

E4138086-6AB2-4AD2-B420-ACE3BA8EC319.jpeg

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The real picture.

1607988110_cougarheretis.jpg.4566eda8e5ae9fc130388c2c1c6a210e.jpg

Wow, I was looking at something else.  Look +- 1-1/4 circle width to the left and slightly higher.  There is a yellowish cat face formed by the dry leaves, right at the left edge of the yellowish area.  

I completely missed the one that you circled. 

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The real picture.

1607988110_cougarheretis.jpg.4566eda8e5ae9fc130388c2c1c6a210e.jpg

Wow, I was looking at something else.  Look +- 1-1/4 circle width to the left and slightly higher.  There is a yellowish cat face formed by the dry leaves, right at the left edge of the yellowish area.  

OK, I have looked and looked, studying the three pictures.  I have to ask if you personally know the person who posted them?

My reason for asking is that several things make me believe it is a photo- shopped image.

For one. the vegetation is fall vegetation and the date on the lower two pictures is October 4.  Yet the pellage of the cat is the grey late winter coat.   They have a tawny color in fall pellage.

Then, the second photo appears to have been taken before the top photo, unless the elk was walking backwards.  The lower photo shows the cat walking forward, which would not be likely before he was hiding in the background, unless he somehow doubled back.   

So the picture sequence had to be middle, top, bottom, except that the cat appears absent in the middle pic, then reappears in the top image (taken last, based on the elk's position).  At best, the picture sequence makes no sense.  The elk had to walk right past the moving cat without reacting. 

The second picture shows the elk's head.  Its height is just a little less than the height of the curved reddish foreground rock (call it the "perspective rock"), located just ahead of the cat in the first picture.  In the middle pic, the elk is positioned between that rock and the rock escarpment that is behind the cat's hiding position in the top photo.   So the cat in the first pic and the rump of the elk in the second pic  are between the rocks and  roughly the same distance from the camera.  (With no reaction from the elk.)  But the cat's head is shown way too small for its position.  It is less than 1/4 of the height of the curved "perspective rock".  So the cat's head would have to be only 1/4 or less the size of the elk's head.  

Then, the top pic shows no date or time, but the position of the elk suggests  it was taken last, unless the elk was walking backwards.  The time between the middle and bottom picture was 40 seconds.  So the cat must have moved rearward between the middle (taken first) and top (taken last) pictures.  The cat is shown walking toward us in the lower photo, taken 40 seconds after the middle photo, in which the cat appears absent.  But the cat ends up at its hiding spot in the last (top)photo.  But he was walking away from that location in the lower, earlier photo. 

And while the cat did all of that moving around, the elk did not spook.  It  appears to be grazing in the top (taken last) photo.  

I realize this description is really confusing, but the photo sequence just does not support the two animal positions and movements.  Either the cat, or the elk, or both were added later.  

(I really do have better things to think about, but it was 109 deg  outside in Fresno today, so I became sedentary -- even took a short nap under the fan.)

23 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I think I see him. Over in the trees on the left?

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Nothing there changes my thinking.  The picture time sequencing still does not match up with the animal positions and movement direction. 

Also, in the pic taken at 16:45:03, the elk is standing just a couple feet from where the lion is supposedly hidden in the original OP picture.  Comparing the size of the grass and rocks to the elk's feet, the grass and rocks there are too low to hide a lion at that location without its whole body somehow being visible. 

And the OP photo of the  hidden lion was taken after the 16:45:03 elk picture, based on the elk's movement and position --presumably it was walking forward.   So the lion would have had to move into the hiding position immediately after the elk walked there.

but the lion walked out of the front of the frame in the photo at 16:46:37, just 59 seconds after the last frontal elk photo was taken at 16:45:38.  The OP photo is strategically cropped off to delete the time stamp,  but you know it was  taken after the time-tagged photos of the elk above, by the elk's position.  The time relation of that photo to the 16:46:37 photo of the walking lion is unknown.  If the hidden lion photo was taken after the picture of the elk at 16:45:20 (based on the elk position) and before the lion walked out of the scene, then the OP photo had to have been taken within that 59 second window.  The lion does not show up in the elk photos taken at 16:45:03, 16:45:20 or 16:45:38. 

It would be very revealingvto be able to see all of the photos taken in sequence, but the blog article does not present them in that way.  

I had a shot of a Chupracabra trying to hotwire my truck. But the government confiscated it.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had a shot of a Chupracabra trying to hotwire my truck. But the government confiscated it.

Did they confiscate the truck, the chupracabra or the photo?

On 9/2/2022 at 9:54 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

You weren't supposed to see the Chupracabra.

Archived