SASS Wire Forum

Some Hack Blowing A Trumpet

Subdeacon Joe

That is a piccolo trumpet and it has four keys.

Edit: I don't know why I said keys - probably because you did. A trumpet does not have keys. It has valves. :P

13 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

...it's all in the lips.

While a strong and proper embrochure ( lips, oral cavity, toungue arch, mouth corners…) is required for endurance and range It's also quite important to have proper breathing with strong and deliberate and controlled air flow. Playing the  trumpet or any brass instrument well is just not all that easy.

What was fun in band (many many moons ago) was swapping my trumpet for a tuba while we walked around the school to the street behind that we used to practice marching on.  Funny how it was difficult at first for either of us to make a proper noise out of the other instrument.  The tuba player had no idea how hard he had to press his lips to get a note out of a trumpet, and as a trumpet player, you got to really loosen up those lips and it take a whole lungful of air to get a good note out a tuba.  Fun times!

Of course this was back when swapping instruments with just a cursory wipe of the mouthpiece with a hand was generally accepted without question.  You know, back in the heathen early 80's.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

While a strong and proper embrochure ( lips, oral cavity, toungue arch, mouth corners…) is required for endurance and range It's also quite important to have proper breathing with strong and deliberate and controlled air flow. Playing the  trumpet or any brass instrument well is just not all that easy.

You've got that right!  It took me nearly a year to be able to hit double high C on my B flat trumpet.  My next main hurdle was double and triple tonguing.  

Archived