SASS Wire Forum

Rock Island Trench 1897

Ocelot

Help me understand the rules around this? In the handbook it says that 1897s in "trench" configurations are not legal, but that normal 1897s are. 

In shopping around, it looks like one of the only people still making 1897 reproductions (originals are way outta my price range) is Rock Island, and their model comes with the barrel heat shield. My understanding of what makes an 1897 a "trench" gun is a bayonet lug and a heat shield, but that otherwise they are the same shotgun. 

The Rock Island gun doesn't have a bayonet lug to begin with, so if I could unscrew the heat shield and remove it, would that suddenly convert it into a sass legal 1897 or is there some other aspect that makes it "trench" and thus illegal I don't know about? 

As mentioned before several times, this RIA pump shotgun is an AFFRONT to cowboy shooters.   RIA should be very aware they are selling an Ithaca Model 37 imitation.   It should in no way be associated with a Winchester Model 97.   Classic advertising lie.

good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Original 97s can be had at very reasonable prices. Between 1897 and 1957 over 1 million were manufactured so they have very little collector value.

This is fact just have to look I picked mine up local 425  is it a slicked up race gun no but neither am I anymore  :)

for what its worth , i bought two when i was not even looking for one - one dated 1811 and one dated 1909 , neither were over $150 and both work fine , 

15 hours ago, watab kid said:

for what its worth , i bought two when i was not even looking for one - one dated 1811 and one dated 1909 , neither were over $150 and both work fine , 

That first one has gotta be worth way more than 150. :ph34r:

ya , but i fixed it - i dont want to look foolish to a new member - least not on purpose , i can do that accidentally quite easily ...obviously , with just a fat finger or a false fingermentation of the keyboard 

Archived