SASS Wire Forum

Highwall vs Rolling Block

Hayfever Hart, 112539

I have a couple of long single shot guns I have been looking at, that I have shot and enjoyed. I am trying to settle on one style.

I was curious if there was a preference (pros vs cons) in highwall vs rolling block? (All chambered in 45-70) I see discussions on sharps vs rolling block, sharps vs highwall,  rolling block vs trapdoor, etc.

I am not a huge fan of trapdoors, so I was looking at other routes to accomplish a single shot gun for the long range competitions. Thanks for all the help and advice!

Personally, I always thought the 1885's action was a little stronger than the rolling block's.  I have both, as-well-as 1874s.  I shot the 1874 until I could no longer hold up the 34-inch barrel for the required number of shots.  Then I went to the 1885.  I have never fired the rolling block, but it is definitely lighter than the others.

The Highwall action is stronger by design, but both actions will handle SAAMI rated ammo. 

The Highwall opens the action and cocks the trigger with one motion of the lever. The rolling block requires two motions of cocking the hammer then opening the block. But the two motions are smaller than the Highwall’s lever. 

I’ve seen fast shooters use both styles. 

Aesthetically, I like the Highwall’s lines better. Always had a quirk for falling blocks going back to my dad’s Ruger #1. 

With all that said, and worth about what you paid, the best thing is to go try each gun and see which speaks to you. Only then will you have the right answer. 

Interesting fact to me atleast.   In a book about Remington rifles, early gunsmith's (?)  tried to blow open a rolling block.  Started with double charges, triple charges, multiple balls.  By the time they quit, they had multiple charges and 40 balls pounded into the barrel.  They never got the RB to open!, they did manage to burst the barrel ,      I have a Uberti Highwall, just because I like the lines of the rifle.     GW

Thanks Guys! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I also like the lines on the high wall better. 

It’s funny, the rolling block was the first I shot and I thought the loading mechanism was unique and interesting. I hadn’t ever seen anything like it. So I was initially leaning towards it until I got to shoot a high wall and mentally it made more sense to me cocking and firing it.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

The Highwall action is stronger by design, but both actions will handle SAAMI rated ammo. 

The Highwall opens the action and cocks the trigger with one motion of the lever. The rolling block requires two motions of cocking the hammer then opening the block. But the two motions are smaller than the Highwall’s lever. 

I’ve seen fast shooters use both styles. 

Aesthetically, I like the Highwall’s lines better. Always had a quirk for falling blocks going back to my dad’s Ruger #1. 

With all that said, and worth about what you paid, the best thing is to go try each gun and see which speaks to you. Only then will you have the right answer. 

In the Highwall reproductions, (Uberti/Pedersoli) opening the action only places the hammer on half cock.

I'm not sure about other makes.

I have/had a Sharps, Rolling Block, Highwall. The Pedersoli HIghwall I had, had a weird drop in the stock that made shooting prone very uncomfortable. Sold it and got a C-Sharps Highwall. Much better stock fit.

You didn't say what you'd be shooting it for. Long Range, Plainsman, SASS Long Range?

According to Frank De Hass in his book single shot rifles and actions the Rolling Block is much weaker than the falling block action such as the Highwall.

I'll add my 2 cents here.  If you're looking to shoot in most "cowboy action" long range competitions that are both accuracy AND speed then the HighWall is a much better choice. 

I have the Browning (Muroku) 1885 in 38-55 and it's a tack driver abs is a gorgeous rifle. 

JEL

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

In the Highwall reproductions, (Uberti/Pedersoli) opening the action only places the hammer on half cock.

I'm not sure about other makes.

Yes, the repros HiWalls do place the hammer to half-cock, which isn't that much of an inconvenience, and is a safety factor.  The originals do go to full cock on closing the action.  The New York State militia rolling blocks also go to half-cock on closing the action. The main advantage to the HiWalls over the RB's is the lighter hammer fall of the HiWalls, and the hammer spur is shorter than the rollers, so it isn't in the line of sight on firing, permitting more follow-through.  As far as strength is concerned, the original M1902 rollers were strong enough to handle the 7x57 cartridge with the original loads, and were converted to some other cartridges like that.  The original HiWalls were also rebarrelled to cartridges including .30-40 Krag, as well as some smaller high velocity centerfires like .22 Hornet and IIRC .22-3000.  I'm not sure what the modern repros are capable of, but certainly can handle any of the BP rounds, even with reasonable smokeless loads.

Incidentally, for those who might have an original M1902 rolling block in 7x57mm, the dimensional specs for the cartridge and chamber ARE DIFFERENT than the SAAMI specs for headspace! The chambers are longer in the originals! This is NOT due to excessive headspace caused by overloads.  It is just the way the originals were designed.  You can shoot modern ammo in them, but when you reload the brass, back off the sizing die until you can just chamber them with a little "feel".  In other words, fireform the brass on the first shot, and don't set the shoulder back to SAAMI length!

7 hours ago, hart3856 said:

I don’t know yet which one. Probably just start with sass long range maybe plainsman. 

SASS long distance isn't long distance. Its speed rifle. 100 to 200 yards mostly. Winner is most hits in least amount of time.

Plainsman is supper speed rifle. I shot it for 20 years. You want something that is light, will toss out the empties and allow fast target acquisition. I had an H&R handi rifle. Sold it. I now have a 50-45 Rolling Block carbine. It shorter than my cowboy rifle.

Anything you named will work for SASS Long Range side match. Most shoot smokeless powder. Less hassle than BP for that  match.

The highwall is marginally newer and more "advanced technology." Which is better? I'd say it's the choice of the shooter. I'm more of a rolling block guy, but I own a highwall (in 219 Donaldson Wasp). I like both.

Archived