SASS Wire Forum

Grumpy old farts with Guns

14 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Family...

Enough to make one Grumpy... 

Smile or Cry...

Jabez Cowboy

Makes you think, “You can’t live with ‘em and ya’ can’t kill ‘em!!” :angry: :lol:

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wildfire smoke, from the West, is still  bothering my asthma. 

So much so, that I went out and bought another, larger, air purifier with a Hepa filter.

Now to get extra back-up filters.

I THOUGHT I TOLD YA TO GIT OFF MY LAWN!?!?!?!

YOU JUST THOUGHT THIS THREAD WOULD FADE OFF AND DIE DIDN'T YOU?

BUH-HAH-HA-HA-HA

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474
  • Sad 1

I’ve been making preparations for the Black Gold Shootout in Manchester, KY!  It’s next weekend and I’m planning on shooting the match with FORTY different guns.  I have all the shotguns that I need, but they’ve been in the safe for years with the exception of two or three.

So today, I started dragging ‘em out and checking them over.  My personal ‘97 was just gone through back in the spring and there’s a new Baikal double that was just given the Papa Dave modifications that I have never shot. Neither of them needed anything, but Schoolmarm’s ‘97 has been sitting in a corner beside the bed and it was grimy with dust and whatever else might have passed by in the last few years.  Took a WHILE to get it cleaned up and running smoothly.

My old ‘93s were clean and dry. Dry being the operative word. A little Ballistol and some canned air, but both of them are ready and in cases for transport.

My Marlins were also very dry. It took me a few minutes to realize that I had forgotten exactly how they cycle!! The Marlin ‘98s require that a shell be FIRED to release the mechanism that lets you open the action. If a shell isn’t fired, you have to engage the bolt release, whether the hammer falls or not!! (Ain’t like a ‘97). When I got that back to the front of the memory bank, I proceeded to get ‘em both lubed up and ready for action. HOWEVER! I discovered that while I have been laid up for so long, muscles and muscle memory have atrophied to the point where I have to strain to cycle my pump guns!!  I HAVE BECOME A WEAKLING!!  I’ve left my ‘97 match gun unpacked so’s I can sit around and cycle it to , hopefully, regain some muscle tone and some dexterity.

The rest of my doubles were in perfect condition. I bagged or boxed all but the big Remington 10ga up and have them all ready for the trip.

The five rifles I have are also cleaned, cased and ready to go! I ran each, vigorously, and I’m satisfied that they will be fine. The other five will be loaners from friends who have volunteered to help me make this happen.

I had already gone through the seven sets of pistols that I have for the match. I replaced a couple of nipples on one of my 1860s and finished replacing a trigger guard on one of my ‘75 Remington Outlaws. I have to pick up a Blackhawk that belonged to my father tomorrow. It will complete a pair and I will sub out a converted Remington ‘58 that I was going to use. The other three set of pistols will also be loaners, supplied by friends.

SO! The gun room/armory/magazine is a shambles!! My grandson and I have made paths through the wreckage and temporarily “organized” the mayhem!!  That boy is a treasure!!

Got a new cast on my foot this morning and the place on my foot is down to 2mm X 3mm and the doctor says I will be able to wear shoes/boots during the match.

I got the license tag on the Enclave renewed on the way home and my handicap placard renewed as well!!

I’M TIRED! 

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m loading up the car to leave for The Black Gold Shootout!  

My visit to the foot doctor was good! “For all intents and purposes, healed up again!”  I got special bandaging to protect the new skin and he’s okayed me to wear boots/shoes for the match.

The dang shoe guy dropped the ball! My new insoles and shoes won’t be here for another week!!:angry:

I still have four more long gun cases to load and all fifteen pistols to pack out to the car!  Then there’s the gun cart and my stool, the groceries, my knee brace, and fan.

I orta be pulling out before noon!  I’m hoping that I don’t forget anything important!!

Y’all mind the lawn!! Keep all the reprobates out in the street ‘til I get back!!

• Like 2

Nice to hear that foot's doing well. Have a great time at Black Gold. Screw the lawn!:lol:

Get off my lawn!

And you kids should get upwind.

AHHH. That's Better!

19lkzm.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Going to have heart surgery early Sep. Need to repair aortic aneuysm and bad valve.

Gettin old ain't for sissies.

Will keep updated on progres.

Prayers up for a successful surgery and complete recovery.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Going to have heart surgery early Sep. Need to repair aortic aneuysm and bad valve.

Gettin old ain't for sissies.

Will keep updated on progres.

Got yer back, GOM!!

Prayers outgoing!!

• 2 weeks later...

My innerds seem to be chugging along fairly well! 

It’s the outside parts that are giving me all the trouble!!

I, (and I ain’t apologizin’ a damned bit) didn’t do that foot any favors by shooting the match at Black Gold!  The problem area didn’t seem to suffer any, but I created three new, really small, ulcers on that same foot.

They’re healing up nicely and fairly rapidly as well, but they have me back on my rear end for another spell.

I’m grumpin’, but not too much!!

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’ve been making preparations for the Black Gold Shootout in Manchester, KY!  It’s next weekend and I’m planning on shooting the match with FORTY different guns.  I have all the shotguns that I need, but they’ve been in the safe for years with the exception of two or three.

So today, I started dragging ‘em out and checking them over.  My personal ‘97 was just gone through back in the spring and there’s a new Baikal double that was just given the Papa Dave modifications that I have never shot. Neither of them needed anything, but Schoolmarm’s ‘97 has been sitting in a corner beside the bed and it was grimy with dust and whatever else might have passed by in the last few years.  Took a WHILE to get it cleaned up and running smoothly.

My old ‘93s were clean and dry. Dry being the operative word. A little Ballistol and some canned air, but both of them are ready and in cases for transport.

My Marlins were also very dry. It took me a few minutes to realize that I had forgotten exactly how they cycle!! The Marlin ‘98s require that a shell be FIRED to release the mechanism that lets you open the action. If a shell isn’t fired, you have to engage the bolt release, whether the hammer falls or not!! (Ain’t like a ‘97). When I got that back to the front of the memory bank, I proceeded to get ‘em both lubed up and ready for action. HOWEVER! I discovered that while I have been laid up for so long, muscles and muscle memory have atrophied to the point where I have to strain to cycle my pump guns!!  I HAVE BECOME A WEAKLING!!  I’ve left my ‘97 match gun unpacked so’s I can sit around and cycle it to , hopefully, regain some muscle tone and some dexterity.

The rest of my doubles were in perfect condition. I bagged or boxed all but the big Remington 10ga up and have them all ready for the trip.

The five rifles I have are also cleaned, cased and ready to go! I ran each, vigorously, and I’m satisfied that they will be fine. The other five will be loaners from friends who have volunteered to help me make this happen.

I had already gone through the seven sets of pistols that I have for the match. I replaced a couple of nipples on one of my 1860s and finished replacing a trigger guard on one of my ‘75 Remington Outlaws. I have to pick up a Blackhawk that belonged to my father tomorrow. It will complete a pair and I will sub out a converted Remington ‘58 that I was going to use. The other three set of pistols will also be loaners, supplied by friends.

SO! The gun room/armory/magazine is a shambles!! My grandson and I have made paths through the wreckage and temporarily “organized” the mayhem!!  That boy is a treasure!!

Got a new cast on my foot this morning and the place on my foot is down to 2mm X 3mm and the doctor says I will be able to wear shoes/boots during the match.

I got the license tag on the Enclave renewed on the way home and my handicap placard renewed as well!!

I’M TIRED! 

Careful.  You're getting close to a copyright infringement there.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Surgery scheduled for 10 AM tomorrow, report in @ 8.

Prayers up for a successful surgery and complete recovery.

Best wishes there, GOM!

Hope your recovery is speedy and complete.

The best news I’ve heard all week!!

Get well and get back to them grandkids!!

27 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

They are gradually pulling hoses and wires out of me Doing well getting out of bed.

Keep up the good work! Wishing you a quick recovery. Thanks for the updates.

Love hearing that!!