SASS Wire Forum

The Last Howard Johnsons Restaurant Has Closed

Cypress Sun

Once the largest chain of restaurants in the US, the last Howard Johnsons has closed it's doors. Never stopped or ate there as a kid traveling with my parents but went to the one nearby in town for ice cream every once in a while. I wonder if people, when they watch Blazing Saddles years from now, will get the HoJo gag line. Just another piece of Americana lost to time.:mellow:

America’s Last Standing Howard Johnson’s Restaurant Has Closed in Lake George – NBC New York

thats sad , i remember the one in our small midwest town well growing up , but then i remember sambos and big boy and kings fod host and others that have gone away , it is sad to see our youth going away tho , 

the two naval cannon in front of the home town university [then a state college] previously a soldiers home civil war medical institution was another that bothered me , seeing the mill race filled in as a kid was kinda sad and seeing the interstate built was exciting but sad for the loss of old Lincoln highway at the time - change is good but sad at the same time , 

I remember Howard Johnson’s as a kid. We never ate there because it was “too expensive”. I have eaten in a few of their restaurants as an adult. I have stayed at Howard Johnson Hotels. One in Kenosha Wisconsin when I was in the Navy and one in San Francisco back in the 80’s. 

Never ate there either as our trips in Florida had us stopping at Stuckeys.

Film-14.jpg.fdf7ccd30e3ef7cb175682e8b7f43ccd.jpg

Always had their famous...

10-oz-PLR-600-x-544.jpg.d20c05e57c90fd89b4edbf0b37e1b6c0.jpg

Used eat at one on occasion in my youth in Vernon, Connecticut

Archived