SASS Wire Forum

Scammers

15 minutes ago, Wildcat Sam said:

They checked him out and said he appears to be on the up and up. the whole 2 PayPal account thing had me a little fishy. better safe than sorry. thank y'all for the guidance.

I have 4 emails and the one I use here isn't the same as my Paypal so it can get confusing for sure. No harm in checking him out.

TM

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Doc Clint is a scammer. If you post your email address or phone number or other information on this forum he’ll try to get to you!!!!

• Thanks 1

If you are buying or selling items on the Classified Forum, check your profile and delete your email address if you added it under any of the "Contact Methods" or any other place in your public profile.   You are making yourself a target for scammers.  They do not have to be Wire Members to see your email address and try to rip you off.

• Thanks 1

I think we also need to be mindful of what we post in forums. I often see members posting their contact information in threads. It doesn't take much detective work for a scammer to find that information and use it to contact the person or impersonate someone else. Scammers can make their phone numbers appear as someone else so I would bet that the same thing can be done with emails.

• Like 2

Buyers been hit by a flurry of scam e-mails  from an address with "Intersport Performance" in the name, pretending to be the seller, attempting to hijack the payment.   If you have your e-mail address added to your profile under "contact methods", delete it!  

Deal with PMs or double-check the address of an e-mail sender.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 7:39 PM, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

Buyers have been hit by a flurry of scam e-mails  from an address with "Intersport Performance" in the name, pretending to be the seller, attempting to hijack the payment.   If you have your e-mail address added to your profile under "contact methods", delete it!  

Deal with PMs or double-check the address of an e-mail sender.  

It's happened again!  Despite the Security Notice we posted, despite posting it here.   Your e-mail addresses are hidden from the outside world by default.  But, many have added their email addresses again under "contact methods" or somewhere else in your public profile.  If you have done that, scammers can reach out, pretending to be the seller and an unwary buyer sends the money to the scammer by mistake.    Deal through PMs or directly via phone, unless you are very sure of the seller's email address.   Never pay for guns via Paypal Friends & Family, or any other venue that does not support firearm transactions!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 4:25 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. ;)

That’s for sure, I just did a random check of a few pards listing items in the Classifieds and there are a few who still have their email addresses posted in their profile contacts.

56 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

That’s for sure, I just did a random check of a few pards listing items in the Classifieds and there are a few who still have their email addresses posted in their profile contacts.

Another thing that I saw on a random check was that some of them somehow sent a message to another member that everyone can read. I saw addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and other personal info also. It's how scammers get their foot in the door and they're good at what they do.

There's a couple of layers of protection on this site that people ignore for some reason....

Use PM's, not public messages.

Don't post any personal information (Email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, etc) that can be viewed publicly anywhere on this site. 

Pretty damn simple, yet...

• Thanks 1

Almost every day I see someone post phone numbers, email addys, even home addresses. It's amazing really!