Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Scammers


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Wildcat Sam said:

They checked him out and said he appears to be on the up and up. the whole 2 PayPal account thing had me a little fishy. better safe than sorry. thank y'all for the guidance.

I have 4 emails and the one I use here isn't the same as my Paypal so it can get confusing for sure. No harm in checking him out.

 

TM

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Doc Clint is a scammer. If you post your email address or phone number or other information on this forum he’ll try to get to you!!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are buying or selling items on the Classified Forum, check your profile and delete your email address if you added it under any of the "Contact Methods" or any other place in your public profile.   You are making yourself a target for scammers.  They do not have to be Wire Members to see your email address and try to rip you off.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we also need to be mindful of what we post in forums. I often see members posting their contact information in threads. It doesn't take much detective work for a scammer to find that information and use it to contact the person or impersonate someone else. Scammers can make their phone numbers appear as someone else so I would bet that the same thing can be done with emails.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buyers been hit by a flurry of scam e-mails  from an address with "Intersport Performance" in the name, pretending to be the seller, attempting to hijack the payment.   If you have your e-mail address added to your profile under "contact methods", delete it!  

 

Deal with PMs or double-check the address of an e-mail sender.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 7:39 PM, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

Buyers have been hit by a flurry of scam e-mails  from an address with "Intersport Performance" in the name, pretending to be the seller, attempting to hijack the payment.   If you have your e-mail address added to your profile under "contact methods", delete it!  

 

Deal with PMs or double-check the address of an e-mail sender.  

 

It's happened again!  Despite the Security Notice we posted, despite posting it here.   Your e-mail addresses are hidden from the outside world by default.  But, many have added their email addresses again under "contact methods" or somewhere else in your public profile.  If you have done that, scammers can reach out, pretending to be the seller and an unwary buyer sends the money to the scammer by mistake.    Deal through PMs or directly via phone, unless you are very sure of the seller's email address.   Never pay for guns via Paypal Friends & Family, or any other venue that does not support firearm transactions!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. ;)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2024 at 4:25 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. ;)

That’s for sure, I just did a random check of a few pards listing items in the Classifieds and there are a few who still have their email addresses posted in their profile contacts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

That’s for sure, I just did a random check of a few pards listing items in the Classifieds and there are a few who still have their email addresses posted in their profile contacts.

 

Another thing that I saw on a random check was that some of them somehow sent a message to another member that everyone can read. I saw addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and other personal info also. It's how scammers get their foot in the door and they're good at what they do.

 

There's a couple of layers of protection on this site that people ignore for some reason....

 

Use PM's, not public messages.

Don't post any personal information (Email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, etc) that can be viewed publicly anywhere on this site. 

 

Pretty damn simple, yet...

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost every day I see someone post phone numbers, email addys, even home addresses. It's amazing really!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just happened again.  Someone from NJ tried to hijack a payment due a Texas pard, and send the check to someone else in Tennessee.  

 

Make sure your email and phone numbers are not in your public profile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Please!!  It's still happening.   Another member has been scammed by outsiders (not even Wire members) pretending to be the seller and having the payment sent to them via Paypal 

Communicate by PM.   No one can see your private messages except you and the seller.   

 

Check your public profile and delete your contact information if you have added it.   

Don't put any of these in a post:

  • email address
  • phone number
  • address

Take these basic steps to protect yourself!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 1:25 PM, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

Please!!  It's still happening.   Another member has been scammed by outsiders (not even Wire members) pretending to be the seller and having the payment sent to them via Paypal 

Communicate by PM.   No one can see your private messages except you and the seller.   

 

Check your public profile and delete your contact information if you have added it.   

Don't put any of these in a post:

  • email address
  • phone number
  • address

Take these basic steps to protect yourself!

I don't have my email on my profile.  I've searched my name a couple different ways and the only way my email shows up that I can find, is on the TG Wire, from Rubys listing of all the TG's.  Can non-TG's see that?  I ask, because I posted an I'll take it on a listing and received the email below.  BEFORE the PM I sent (with my email address) was opened.  The grammar was flagging me, so I sat on replying and shortly after the real seller contacted me.  This one baffles me a bit.

 

11111.jpg

Edited by Fireball #7709 Life
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

I don't have my email on my profile.  I've searched my name a couple different ways and the only way my email shows up that I can find, is on the TG Wire, from Rubys listing of all the TG's.  Can non-TG's see that?

I searched and did not find that list. I did a little search on you, got your real name, your home address, I think your wife's name, a couple corporations you have been associated with, and a couple possible phone numbers.

 

But no email address. Which is a bit surprising, I usually can find more considering how many bread crumbs you have left behind. Almost everyone leaves breadcrumbs behind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I searched and did not find that list. I did a little search on you, got your real name, your home address, I think your wife's name, a couple corporations you have been associated with, and a couple possible phone numbers.

 

But no email address. Which is a bit surprising, I usually can find more considering how many bread crumbs you have left behind. Almost everyone leaves breadcrumbs behind.

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't expect to be completely "under the radar", too many public records and I'm not a tech hermit.LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.