SASS Wire Forum

Next Monday

Subdeacon Joe

Duty, Honor, Country

I will be placing flags at the town cemetery on Friday. I will be participating in the VFW memorial service at 9 am on Monday. Then I’m going home.

That’s all I ever do on Memorial Day. 
Lest We Forget.

:FlagAm:

There is a Memorial Day Barbeque in our little town, and I'm always asked for two of my dishes,  my Grandfather's Potato Salad, and the Best Macaroni Salad, the latter recipe available online.  I'll be doing some cooking.  Last year, in addition, I photographed all the Vets markers in the cemetery for a memorial wall they are working on for the Community center.  An important week end here.

I'm going north for a long weekend. I'll stop by my folks' graves, straighten the site up some, have a good cry. The Scouts will have a flag on Pa's grave already.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm going north for a long weekend. I'll stop by my folks' graves, straighten the site up some, have a good cry. The Scouts will have a flag on Pa's grave already.

This is a quote from a source long forgotten:
"Women's tears are a leaky faucet.

"Men's tears are a valve marked FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY."

The most feared warriors of their era, the Ninja, wept freely when occasion demanded: they did so without shame, as do we.

You are not alone in your sorrow, my friend: my hand on your shoulder!

My old squad partner moved back to MacArthur and into an apartment north of town, across from a cemetery.

He looked out his apartment window on Memorial Day, before sunup, he said the full moon was glowing on neat rows of tombstones.

He said he'd drawn the curtains back, and suddenly he let them go, and stepped back.

There was not one breath of wind out, but every last flag was standing out straight.

Archived