SASS Wire Forum

Do you have road trains in the US?

Buckshot Bear

On 4/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, Bart Slade said:

You don't back up with even 2 - not more than a couple of feet anyway.   The connector tongues are designed to be pulled, not pushed.    Get them even a little out of line they'll snap like a dried twig.

Long combination vehicles are meant to go forward only.

Seen it done more than once.  Here are a couple of videos of of being done.

This guy is not that good but did get it done.

This guy is a pro

So is this one

On 4/26/2022 at 12:15 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I've seen logging rigs in Brittish Columbia pulling up to four loaded trailers.  That's a real lot of tonage. They're a nightmare to meet on a dirt logging road, often travelling 60+ mph.  They have absolute legal right of way, so when you see the posted signs, you'd best just forget your fishing excursion and turn back.  

Using those bush roads will get you into some prime hunting and fishing areas, but, as you say, not fun to meet going the other way.

The trick is to time your trip when they are going the same way you want to go, or, take to the bush when you see one coming head on.

Even if you get stuck off the road, the drivers usually have a CB and the next driver coming in will stop and pull you out.

My experience up here anyway.

Mind you, driving, fishing and hunting with the son and grandson of the timber company may help LOL

i learned something new (besides being so wrong about ca allowing multiples).

until this thread i’ve heard “semi” and never realized it meant tractor + single trailer.

also, i’ll echo Blackwater’s question; it’d be neat to learn how a road train is started and finished (or do they drop a couple before entering major cities?

47 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Major cities?  It’s the outback!

Those roads eventually take one to a destination. They likely either start or end at a place where lots of people and commerce are found.  Cities??

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Those roads eventually take one to a destination. They likely either start or end at a place where lots of people and commerce are found.  Cities??

Yeah but there is rarely a need to go through a city. Everybody has depots for offloading cargo. Why break up a train to have the depot in the inner city?

35 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yeah but there is rarely a need to go through a city. Everybody has depots for offloading cargo. Why break up a train to have the depot in the inner city?

Reread my question.  I was asking how it was handled at the ends of the run.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Not the Outback, they go through towns.

I’m guessing,  straight through!! :lol:

Archived