SASS Wire Forum

"Shoot where it was" - That was then....

Dang It Dan 13202

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

In addition to a reactive target being down, a rifle or pistol plate could go down as well. Blown over by the hot air, or have even seen people shoot the bolt clear out, or at least the head off anyway.

Okay those are correctable problems.  Staking target stands properly and NOT inspecting the targets for worn bolts prior to the match.  In 15 years of WR we've not had a single problem with this. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Okay those are correctable problems.  Staking target stands properly and NOT inspecting the targets for worn bolts prior to the match.  

What you are saying is all factually accurate. However, to say that it is never happened in a match before may not necessarily be factually accurate.

I remember about 3 years ago helping a range go through and flip all their steel and replace all their hardware. The FIRST match they had after we did all that work, a shooter put a 45 slug right on the bolt and shattered the head right off it.

Plate fell off and hit the dirt. We all stood there in stunned, shocked silence ... until laughter ensued.

Whether it was the shooter's fault, a weak bolt's full, our fault for replacing it, or even if it was nobody's fault, it happened. And, more importantly, quite possibly, it can happen anywhere and at any time. The same as someone forgetting to reset shotgun targets, or a reactive target falling prematurely for whatever reason.

The question we are discussing is, not whether or not it can happen, or ways that we can prevent it, but what do we do in the event that it does happen.

Kind of the point of this thread, isn't it?

8 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Okay those are correctable problems.  Staking target stands properly and NOT inspecting the targets for worn bolts prior to the match.  In 15 years of WR we've not had a single problem with this. 

The double rifle knockdown rack 2nd kd from the back on the right on the kd stage does not want to reset. There were a few times it was not all the way up. Just fyi.

3 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

The double rifle knockdown rack 2nd kd from the back on the right on the kd stage does not want to reset. There were a few times it was not all the way up. Just fyi.

Yep a knock down.  I was answering the query about stationary targets. 

6 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

What you are saying is all factually accurate. However, to say that it is never happened in a match before may not necessarily be factually accurate.

I remember about 3 years ago helping a range go through and flip all their steel and replace all their hardware. The FIRST match they had after we did all that work, a shooter put a 45 slug right on the bolt and shattered the head right off it.

Plate fell off and hit the dirt. We all stood there in stunned, shocked silence ... until laughter ensued.

Whether it was the shooter's fault, a weak bolt's full, our fault for replacing it, or even if it was nobody's fault, it happened. And, more importantly, quite possibly, it can happen anywhere and at any time. The same as someone forgetting to reset shotgun targets, or a reactive target falling prematurely for whatever reason.

The question we are discussing is, not whether or not it can happen, or ways that we can prevent it, but what do we do in the event that it does happen.

Kind of the point of this thread, isn't it?

And again I was addressing your hypothetical about a 1,8,1 with a stationary target that fails.  It's a common logical fallacy called reductio ad absurdum .

49 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Yep a knock down.  I was answering the query about stationary targets. 

I gotcha. I had thought someone mentioned not resetting targets. It's probably a moot point then because I don't see how we can make a blanket rule for one and not include the other. 

Keep in mind that personally I think a shooter should be able to ask for a reshoot if there's a malfunctioned or blown down target on their stage. I just happen to think it should be up to the match director to make that call so they can weed out anything that needs to be weeded out instead of a blanket rule guaranteeing a reshoot and tying their hands.

48 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

And again I was addressing your hypothetical about a 1,8,1 with a stationary target that fails.  It's a common logical fallacy called reductio ad absurdum .

That’s Latin da’ling. 
It seems Joe LaFives is an educated man. 

10 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

That’s Latin da’ling. 

Then he'd better watch out for Doc Holiday ....... :)

10 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

That’s Latin da’ling. 

I are a college gradiate

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yep, another gratchulate from Hooterville U.

..........Widder

That thar is a Universaly.  I went to Norman's Barber College

Archived