SASS Wire Forum

1860 Henrywood

Tom Bullweed

Any of you cowboy ever convert a Model 1892 to look like a 1860 Henry?  I have many in Western movies.

How much did you do?

Removing the forearm seems a minimum.

Finish the receiver to look like brass?

Finish the buttplate to look like brass?

Fill in and blacken the space between the mag tube and barrel with some filler?

Should be a 24" octaganol barrel.

Most of the ones in the movies weren’t that detailed. Many didn’t even bother to change the receiver color or disguise the loading gate. Most didn’t have the magazine follower faked in and I don’t recall ever seeing that space between barrel and mag tube filled in.

In “The Man Fom Laramie” they used a real or a replica Henry, but the follower was was in the empty position most times it was seen.

I have an “iron frame” Henry replica, so I’m always looking closely when a Henry is represented.

As I have said in previous posts, I would like to make one to look like the one John Wayne handles in “The Commancheros”.  I remember it to be a blued 24” octagon rifle with a brass receiver, lever and butt stock plate. I was going to get a Rossi in .44 mag but they stopped making them. Not sure if they have any spare parts for the frame, but they were selling gold colored levers for only $15.00, and I bought one. Rossi has brought the 92’s back but an octagon blued rifle in .44 mag with a 24” octagon barrel is closed to $1,000, and I am not paying that. I also wanted to get a Rossi Rancher(mare’s leg) in .44 mag and have Nate Kiowa Jones modify it to more resemble the first model Steve McQueen used. I was going to have him do the plating on the 92, as well when I find a cheaper Rossi. 

Simplest way to make one of these things would just be to take the forestock off a 66 rifle, I suppose.   That would be the most accurate "looking" way to do it.

The most "accurate" way to do it according to what we saw in the old Westerns would be to use a 92.  I don't recall ever seeing one that even bothered brass the frame, but that would make for a more accurate ersatz Henry.

But you know, all of this is technically a moot point.   Creating a "Hollyweird" Henry is not an approved external modification, and so therefore is not allowed according to the rules.    

I'd say I am joking here, but I seem to vaguely recall a thread a long time ago where it was actually said in an official way that the mods needed to create such a rifle would be a no no.

i dont see the point in this , not trying to be contrary but just missing it , these are two distinctly different rifles and i love both for what they are - most look to add to the 60 to compensate for the lack of forearm [i never really understood that to start with but ...] deleting the forearm is fine but will you then look for a leather wrap for your hand ? just trying to get a jist on this whole topic 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Seams like ordering a DeCafe, Skim Milk, Sugar Free Latte.  Why Bother??

Not for me, but I can certainly understand someone’s desire to recreate a certain movie character, right down to the guns seen in the movie!  

I don’t find that offensive or something to be dismissed out of hand.

Gentlemen, sometimes people want guns that won’t  necessarily will be shot in a SASS shoot. That being said, why would a plated ‘92, missing a would forearm not be legal in a SASS shoot?  
I just want one because it was in a John Wayne movie, just like I want a ‘92 that I believe was “borrowed” from Chuck Connors that Robert Mitchum uses in El Dorado. He doesn’t fire it as in the Rifleman shows, and I am willing to bet Johnny Crawford brought it with him as he was staring in the movie as well. 

Archived