SASS Wire Forum

"Knock on Wood"

I thought you were going to explain where the "Knock on Wood" superstition expression came from!!  

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I thought you were going to explain where the "Knock on Wood" superstition expression came from!!  

Since you asked....

Snip-it_1644238243197.jpg.b2806fa20ee1282855caa76f512d3bd3.jpg

Snip-it_1644238292935.jpg.2a04a9516951dcb1c072221fcb80689b.jpg

Thanks, I knew you'd explain that!!:lol:

BTW I looked it up and was going to post it but you beat me to it!!:D

I don't believe that explanation.

You knock wood to cancel a jinx. Everyone knows that speaking a good thing aloud before it happens will cause it not happen. It will jinx it. So you knock what to prevent the jinx.

You tell your buddy that you're going out with Sally Ann and, "I'm getting lucky tonight". Then you realize that because you said you were getting lucky, either Sally Ann is going to cancel the date, or maybe she's going to give you the clap. So you knock wood to prevent the jinx.

There are various and sundry different types of sprites and nymphs. There are hill nymphs. There are water nymphs. And there is a malicious sprite that lives in trees. They are called wood wives. And they like to play mean jokes on humans. If they hear you talking about something good that is about to happen to you, they will make it turn out bad, just because --- well, just because.

But if you knock on wood, they hear it, and are afraid that it is a axeman chopping their tree, and they immediately run back home to prevent him from cutting their tree down, so they don't have time to jinx your good luck.

I have never heard anyone knocking on wood to ask for good luck. It's always after they have spoken of their good luck, to prevent something bad from happening.

We always used it as a thanks for maybe being healthy or we’ve never had a tornado etc. 

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have never heard anyone knocking on wood to ask for good luck. It's always after they have spoken of their good luck, to prevent something bad from happening.

Exactly. The first would be superstition. The second is just prudent common sense.

Archived