SASS Wire Forum

Schuetzen Black Powder FFF

Snakebite Dust SASS 75484

3 hours ago, John Boy said:

Slim pickings only in stock … Swiss 1F,  Schuetzen FFF and Goex Olde E 1F.  

I don't know how FG would work in cartridges but it should be ok with some sparks.  FFFG will work in everything but has a bit more kick to it.  5lbs/order

Schuetzen is great powder!!  I like it as well as Swiss…

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

He He He, 

Jailhouse, FG works a treat for Shotgun.  Lotta BOOMBA, Lotta Smoke, not a lotta recoil.  Gun Stuff to be sure.

I've used it for night shoot loads in a shotgun with good success but haven't tried it in smaller cartridges.

4 hours ago, John Boy said:

Don’t Po Po F grade powder in center fire calibers …

https://goexpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/cartridge-rifle.pdf   

Interesting that they use Fg in 38WCF and FFFg in the 44WCF.  It's the same case.

17 minutes ago, Hawg Runner, SASS #61139 said:

So 1.5 powder would be okay in shotgun?

Almost anything is good in shotgun.  Dunno about 4F, but I've shot lots of 1,2 and 3F in shotgun.  (Mostly the 3F loads were because I had a lot more of that powder - but honetly I couldn't tell the difference while shooting)

4 hours ago, John Boy said:

Jim, different bullet weights and both a classified as 40 calibers

Right, I shoot both.  Only 20grs different on bullets.  45 Colt is FFFg as well.  I think I'll load some with Cannon and try it.

Folks, realize this … every grade of black powder is the same powder except for the mesh sizes dropped and packaged in the screening process.

The only difference with the heaviest is the small grains ignite faster than the large grains.  Accordingly,  loading data uses smaller grains for smaller calibers volume capacity but with a larger volume capacity case …. More smaller grains will generate a higher velocity and maintain a higher velocity when shot at long ranges to keep the trajectories higher.

Examples: 70 grs charge in a 50-70 using FFFg verses Fg, the muzzle velocity will be in the 200 FPS faster out to 1000yds. In a 22lr case, 4.5grs of 60 mesh Swiss Null-B generates a 1320 FPS muzzle velocity but same charge of 30 mesh FFFg is about 1000 FPS 

Archived