SASS Wire Forum

Rebarrel Uberti 1873 Rifle

Seth Bradford

I’ve had the desire to obtain a Uberti 1873 short rifle in 38-40 lately but finding one is like finding hens teeth, so… 

Just starting my research, I have a rifle in 45 Colt, how feasible would it be for a gunsmith to swap the barrel out for a 38-40? Barrels are available and looking at the parts list it looks like the bolt, carrier etc are all the same. 
Thanks for any advice!

I drilled the barrel and installed a Redman liner in 38-40 in one of my rifles.

It is very feasible IF you can find a barrel.  The fact that barrels may be on some supplier's website does not mean they have them in stock.  What Yul suggested might be the better option if you cannot find a factory barrel.

i did two 45LC to 38-40. bought 38-40 barrels from VTI in connecticut. the old ones screwed out with no issues. new ones screwed on, indexed properly and headspaced 100%......so easy to do in my case. no changes to magazine, lifter, bolt, etc.....

On 11/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, Rancho Roy said:

i did two 45LC to 38-40. bought 38-40 barrels from VTI in connecticut. the old ones screwed out with no issues. new ones screwed on, indexed properly and headspaced 100%......so easy to do in my case. no changes to magazine, lifter, bolt, etc.....

Roy, not that I had even thought of it or shot on a posse with you at the time but I would have picked your brain about this at the Heluva Rukas seeing you've already been down this road. I have a barrel coming from VTI, I hope mine goes as smooth as yours did!!

Archived