SASS Wire Forum

OM Vaquero/Bisley Vaquero Base Pin Problem

Chantry

I am having a problem with my Old Model Bisley Vaquero.  Last week at a match the base pin latch  came off the gun and disappeared.  I replaced it with a base pin latch from another Old Model Vaquero and finished the match without any further problems.

Today I had the cylinder lock up.  I fixed that part, but now the base pin will not latch and I haven't been able to figure out why.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

On edit:  The problem was that I am an idiot and put the spring in on the  right side of the frame instead of the left side.  :blush: :blink:

Pull the base pin & check the spring loaded pin in the end. Make sure it is free to retract.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Also you might check the base pin by pushing on it before each stage.

Yep. Last thing I do at the loading table before holstering the pistols.

Get you a set of Belt Mountain locking base pins. Should put a stop to the problem. They make both regular and locking pins.

I have replaced all my base pins with a locking one from Belt Mountain.  I have also replaced the base pin latch spring with one of the heavier ones that Brownells use to sell.  I do not know who sells them any more, luckily I bought several once upon a time.  I too had a base pin walk out at a shoot and lost the pin.  With my heavier Rugers, the .44 Mag and .41  Mag, I went as far as to have a slight indent made into the barrel for the set screw on the base pin to set in to.  Might be overkill to some but I know that problem is fixed. Remember to always carry that small allen wrench with you when at a shoot or just carrying the gun in the woods.  Now about those transfer bars.... 

The ONLY time I ever had a base pin walk out was at Winter Range several years ago. Cost me a lot of time. :huh:

I just check them at loading table now before each stage but I have never seen this again.

People keep responding and have apparently not noticed the OP's revised post:

The problem was that I am an idiot and put the spring in on the  right side of the frame instead of the left side.  :blush: :blink:

Archived