SASS Wire Forum

Pat's Bikes

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this will upset bikers, but whenever I see some motorcycle driving down the dotted line, I have this almost overwhelming urge to swing my door open and slam on the brakes - BLAP!!!!

There's a reason they are called traffic lanes.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I know this will upset bikers, but whenever I see some motorcycle driving down the dotted line, I have this almost overwhelming urge to swing my door open and slam on the brakes - BLAP!!!!

This is why there are laws against opening vehicle doors in traffic and laws protecting lane spliters.

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In the PRoK lane splitting is legal when done as prescribed. Yes there are those a holes that give others a bad rap but you cannot judge all bikers by the actions of a few. 

California Motorcyclist Safety

30 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

It's illegal in Alabama and will get you a ticket.

Riding your bike down the center line, or opening your door on him?

35 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Riding your bike down the center line, or opening your door on him?

Both.

Then again, hitting the car beside you with your door  or attempting to block the other lane with your car door wouldn't be legal either, would it?

Bikes are treated just like cars and can't pass another vehicle in the same lane, so no lane splitting. 

Although, 2 bikes can ride together in the same lane whether it's side by side or staggered.

A recent example of customized Nortons, specifically designed to combat those trying to "Door" riders:

2.NortonBig4_2.jpg

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

That is a good way to get shot.

It has always baffled me why when someone is getting ahead of others in traffic that some people do anything in their power to jam somebody up. Sometimes at the risk of causing serious harm. 

That's all right. It always baffled me why, when there are distinct lanes of traffic where you are supposed to drive your motorized vehicle, and the traffic flow is too slow for somebody, they will move their motorized vehicle outside of the traffic lane - split a lane on the motorcycle, or drive in the parking lane, or drive on the shoulder - because they are both entitled and too damn important to drive that slowly.

Man, you sound like a Yankee. :lol:

edited to add a smiley before Alpo came cross country to shoot me in the ***!

52 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's all right. It always baffled me why, when there are distinct lanes of traffic where you are supposed to drive your motorized vehicle, and the traffic flow is too slow for somebody, they will move their motorized vehicle outside of the traffic lane - split a lane on the motorcycle, or drive in the parking lane, or drive on the shoulder - because they are both entitled and too damn important to drive that slowly.

Lane splitting actually reduces motorcycle accidents. Professor Harry Hurt did a lot of detailed studies about motorcycle accidents and was a big proponent of lane splitting.

Its not about being in a hurry Its about safety. Riding a bike in stop and go traffic is hard and takes a lot of mental as well as physical effort. Besides keeping control of the bike you have to figure out how to stay out of everyone's blind spot, not getting run over by the car behind you because they are not paying attention, or being run over by someone changing lanes.

You'll probably never understand as you don't ride but anyone that has ridden in heavy stop and go traffic gets it.

Professor Harry Hurt

Hugh Harrison (Harry) Hurt, Jr., (December 13, 1927 – November 29, 2009) was an American researcher on motorcycle safety. He was the author of the 1981 Hurt Report, described as "the most comprehensive motorcycle safety study of the 20th century."

After receiving his Master's at USC, Hurt remained there as a professor. In 1976–1977, Hurt and his team at USC performed 900 on-scene, in-depth motorcycle crash investigations and compiled data from 3,600 police reports. Investigators later returned to the scene of several hundred crashes they had previously investigated and tallied passing traffic, photographed 2,310 passing motorcycles, and interviewed 505 riders.

This database of riders exposed to accident risks, similar to the previous accidents, allowed a comparison of riders in crashes to those not involved in a crash.

This large data collection effort led to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's 1981 Hurt Report, leading to evidence of the usefulness of motorcycle helmets. The Hurt Report was described by David L. Hough as "the most comprehensive motorcycle safety study of the 20th century."

In 2006, reflecting on the report, Hurt stated, "The current problem is older riders, bigger bikes and alcohol."

Another thing about idling in traffic on a bike is engine damage. 

I saw a guy in Oregon cook the engine of his brand new 1200 Sportster. 
Traffic was backed up miles due to an accident literally 10 miles away. 
Twice I hollered over to him that he was going to seize his engine. Both times he said “I don’t want to get a ticket.”

His engine seized. 

So, Pat's going back to work!
Nice to hear and the question we all are asking is>>>>>>>>>>>>

19-3.jpg

6 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

So, Pat's going back to work!
Nice to hear and the question we all are asking is>>>>>>>>>>>>

19-3.jpg

No, I can’t do that yet. My wrist is at 60% but my grip is just isn’t good enough to even consider riding my bike. 

Archived