SASS Wire Forum

Long Barrel for an 87

Okay, traditionally, I have been a 97 guy.  But I do on occasion take out my Parker SxS.  Both of them have got 30" full choke barrels.   I also have a long barreled Winchester 87 with a full choke, but I don't use it all that often due to its age and needing black powder.   Once in a great while, sure, but not something I want to make a habit of.

I also have a Chiappa Mare's Leg 87, which is a hoot and half of fun to shoot.  Yeah, it's got a short barrel and no choke, but it's more of a novelty, and for some reason is not SASS Legal.  But let that go.

It seems that all of the reproduction 87's on the market have got 20" open choke barrels.   There is one that has a somewhat longer barrel, I think 26" or 28" but it's got screw in chokes.   I HATE screw in chokes.   But is that my only option if I want a long barrel reproduction 87?

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I'm in the minority with my shotgun preferences, but well, I know what I like.  :)

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

There are still REAL Winchester 87s with long barrels. 

1333936151_Winchester1887Sept2018.jpg.900b14e271c825a43bd30642d6b3a5c6.jpg

And he has one, but due to its age and needing to shoot black powder he is looking for a reproduction model that has a long barrel, no choke and can shoot modern ammunition, or at least that is what I read. 

20 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

And he has one, but due to its age and needing to shoot black powder he is looking for a reproduction model that has a long barrel, no choke and can shoot modern ammunition, or at least that is what I read. 

Well, I'd prefer a full choke.    I suppose if I wanted no choke I could get the longer Chiappa and just cut off the screw ins.  :)

11 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Well, I'd prefer a full choke.    I suppose if I wanted no choke I could get the longer Chiappa and just cut off the screw ins.  :)

Yes you could, but you were inquiring if someone new of a long barrel without one, and I was reminding Warden that you already had an original but didn’t want to shoot it. Don’t blame you, I bought an original from Rolan Kraps back in 2020 but haven’t shot it yet. I was lucky he only wanted to get out of it what he had spent to get it so I got it for under $700, 12ga, and he told me it can shoot but you have to shoot it like you stole it, and at that price I did. My son and I traveled from SE FL to GA and back, close to 20 hours round trip but it was worth it. Actually considering sending it to Turnbull to have it restored. 

20 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Yes you could, but you were inquiring if someone new of a long barrel without one, and I was reminding Warden that you already had an original but didn’t want to shoot it. Don’t blame you, I bought an original from Rolan Kraps back in 2020 but haven’t shot it yet. I was lucky he only wanted to get out of it what he had spent to get it so I got it for under $700, 12ga, and he told me it can shoot but you have to shoot it like you stole it, and at that price I did. My son and I traveled from SE FL to GA and back, close to 20 hours round trip but it was worth it. Actually considering sending it to Turnbull to have it restored. 

My own original 87 has been refinished and the buttstock is not original.  I had no qualms about sending it to Coyote Cap to give it a once over.   It was not properly feeding from the magazine.   He replaced some internal parts and now it works the way it should.  He also lengthened the chamber and forcing cone and pronounced it safe to shoot.   He did not specify "with light smokeless" but another gunsmith I respect has said it would be okay, but I just don't want to.   Heck, the loads I've come up with for black, while still quite smoky, use a rather reduced charge to reduce recoil.   I remember at one shoot, with a different gun, someone gave me some full power BP shells to shoot, just for fun.   I was not expecting there to be that much recoil!

28 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

My own original 87 has been refinished and the buttstock is not original.  I had no qualms about sending it to Coyote Cap to give it a once over.   It was not properly feeding from the magazine.   He replaced some internal parts and now it works the way it should.  He also lengthened the chamber and forcing cone and pronounced it safe to shoot.   He did not specify "with light smokeless" but another gunsmith I respect has said it would be okay, but I just don't want to.   Heck, the loads I've come up with for black, while still quite smoky, use a rather reduced charge to reduce recoil.   I remember at one shoot, with a different gun, someone gave me some full power BP shells to shoot, just for fun.   I was not expecting there to be that much recoil!

Unfortunately I don’t believe Coyote Cap is doing any work, thought someone in his family might have taken over but not sure. Rolan told me he shot the Winchester light target loads in it. But I have an old Richards side by side with hammers, that even though has a slew of proof marks I am not sure I would shoot it without looking at black powder shells. Even picked up 4 boxes of brass shells to start reloading. Was going to have a local gunsmith cut the barrels down to 18-20” as I am always thinking Stagecoach guard with a hammered shotgun but haven’t done it yet. May or may not be best option but like you I like to consider options. Just don’t have your “budget”. But I am really seriously considering having the 1887 redone. Still looking for a 1876 and a 1895 to complete my Winchester lever gun collection, just trying to not spend too much on either. Would like originals but may have to settle for a repro on the ‘76. 

I believe Lassiter and I have heard of one other...but can't remember who.. work on 87's

20 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Okay, traditionally, I have been a 97 guy.  But I do on occasion take out my Parker SxS.  Both of them have got 30" full choke barrels.   I also have a long barreled Winchester 87 with a full choke, but I don't use it all that often due to its age and needing black powder.   Once in a great while, sure, but not something I want to make a habit of.

I also have a Chiappa Mare's Leg 87, which is a hoot and half of fun to shoot.  Yeah, it's got a short barrel and no choke, but it's more of a novelty, and for some reason is not SASS Legal.  But let that go.

It seems that all of the reproduction 87's on the market have got 20" open choke barrels.   There is one that has a somewhat longer barrel, I think 26" or 28" but it's got screw in chokes.   I HATE screw in chokes.   But is that my only option if I want a long barrel reproduction 87?

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I'm in the minority with my shotgun preferences, but well, I know what I like.  :)

You could take it to a good shotgun gunsmith and have him add 4 to 6”. I had that done to a 20 IAC 87 and it improved the balance greatly. And tell him to make it a cylinder or improved or modified choke without the screw in chokes, your choice. Mine was so good it was impossible to see where the barrel extension joined. 

2 hours ago, Caboose said:

You could take it to a good shotgun gunsmith and have him add 4 to 6”. I had that done to a 20 IAC 87 and it improved the balance greatly. And tell him to make it a cylinder or improved or modified choke without the screw in chokes, your choice. Mine was so good it was impossible to see where the barrel extension joined. 

Have a friend that has an 87 that this was done to.   Seams is basically invisible, gun looks great      GW

Archived