SASS Wire Forum

Nics checks top 4 million for the first time in January - 4,317,804

Raylan

Thought the gun buying had cooled off a little as I was seeing a few more guns on shelves - guess I was wrong by country mile.

nicscheckjan2021.png

My favorite LGS has a 3 person limit inside. They have been trying to move to their new much bigger store that is literally 120 yards away, but the CA DOJ has been “heavily impacted” by CoVid <_< so they won’t approve the final documents so that Rifle Supply can move. 
Anyway, that store has had a line of people waiting to get in every day for months during all business hours. 
I was talking to a guy the other day that claims the owners said that they went from doing $1500-$2000 in business a day to $15-$20,000 per day. 
I know when I go there they have a very limited selection, but that anything they put on the handgun shelves besides .22s sells nearly immediately. 
They have a better selection of long guns but those are turning over at a quick pace as well. 

Another thing; people shouldn’t assume that all these guns are being sold to a slew of “likeminded” people. These lines aren’t completely full of conservative Republicans. There are people from all over the spectrum.

Add that to no telling how many private sales. Plus, at least here in Texas if you have a LTC you get to skip that. Wonder how many LTC holders bought guns in Texas last month besides my wife! :)

JHC

If it is 2.3 million guns sold, then two boxes per customer is some 230 million rounds.
Just for January new buyers.
I saw a Hornady interview, where the guy said if he stopped taking orders today, it would take him 2 years to fill backlog.

I do wonder if the LGS, especially the big box stores, keep some "back room" ammo (two boxes) for their new gun buyers.
This would be a lot of good will for new customers, who would otherwise be all bent out of shape if they bought a new gun and can't get ANY ammo.

44 minutes ago, bgavin said:

If it is 2.3 million guns sold, then two boxes per customer is some 230 million rounds.
Just for January new buyers.
I saw a Hornady interview, where the guy said if he stopped taking orders today, it would take him 2 years to fill backlog.

I do wonder if the LGS, especially the big box stores, keep some "back room" ammo (two boxes) for their new gun buyers.
This would be a lot of good will for new customers, who would otherwise be all bent out of shape if they bought a new gun and can't get ANY ammo.

At least some do. Fellow I work with just bought a Smith 9mm (another first timer) and they sold him one box fairly reasonable.

JHC

Reading between the lines here, and that is a bad thing for me to do; With all these gun and ammunation sales, I wonder what the mind set of the ammunition makers and sellers is? They claim to be running at top speed to supply the market with loded ammunation. Speculate if you will that loaded ammunitation sells easier to a much larger marked than to reloaders. So if they draw heavily on the powder makers, bullet makers, cartridge makers, and primer makers, to make loaded ammuniation, who is at the end of the line?

Archived