SASS Wire Forum

5,000-Year-Old Energy Bar

Sedalia Dave

How to Make a 5,000-Year-Old Energy Bar and Eat like ancient Great Plains hunters with this simple recipe.

In Secrets of Polar Travel, explorer Robert Peary spends several pages waxing poetic about the merits of a ration he brought on his expeditions to the Arctic between 1886 and 1909. In addition to ranking it “first in importance” among his supplies, he genuinely enjoyed the food, writing that it was the only meal “a man can eat twice a day for three hundred and sixty-five days in a year and have the last mouthful taste as good as the first.”

Peary was talking about pemmican, a blend of rendered fat and powdered, dried meat that fueled exploration and expansion long before his attempts to reach the North Pole. Archaeological evidence suggests that as early as 2800 BC humans hunted the bison that roamed North America’s Great Plains and blended their meat, fat, and marrow into energy-dense patties with a serious shelf-life. A single pound of pemmican lasted for years and might’ve packed as many as 3,500 calories.

image.png.3d870f93ba58a57e16617ccae8ba78ac.png

image.png.51afb2fab92b4e18ffbe38b55c462e2b.png

image.png.6f2cf613c2dbee70957438a2cc421a44.png

image.png.b2e048e4cbd70bf702f35b38dcb27853.png

image.png.d2f899c8ec611b2ed3e39ba7363828b2.png

I used to make pemmican with my dad.  Lots of folks, especially BSA, FFA, and others did, too.  We used beef suet that we bought at Haley and Freestones butcher counter.

Haven't had any in years and haven't made any myself for twice that long.   Maybe I should.....uuuuh, NAW!  Too much work

I thought this was gonna be about c rations.

I remember opening a box of C-rats back in Quantico in 1970 and it had a green box of three Lucky Strike cigarettes in it.  I had seen red packages of Lucky Strikes but never green.  I ask the instructor about it and he said they were left over from WW II.  Nice, eating C-rats that were 25 years old.  Amazing what you will eat and smoke after a few days in the field.

On 11/6/2020 at 3:53 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I thought this was gonna be about c rations.

Couldn't be - I ate those early on in VIet Nam. :-(

(I think they were Korean War vintage)

STL Suomi

Archived