SASS Wire Forum

Buckaroo and young guns

JohnWesleyHardin

We have a young gun at our match this weekend.  How is he supposed to handle a reload.  Our thought is that he can start with 11 rounds in the rifle.

There are no special rules for youngsters when it come to reloads. Much depends on the type/model gun they are using. If you are referencing a 22LR then a reload would usually be accomplished through the ejection port.

I would teach the reload. It will serve them well in a very short time. However, my daughter was allowed to load the 11th round at the load table. 

5 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I think that young gun shooters are old enough that they can be taught very easily to do a reload 

I agree.

Teach them early how to properly handle the guns according to the stage instructions, including reloads and such.

Cat Brules

My 11 year old daughter can do a reload on her henry,turn to side, tip down, insert,close lever...no big deal    Who would think they need to  load  through the tube?

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

My 11 year old daughter can do a reload on her henry,turn to side, tip down, insert,close lever...no big deal    Who would think they need to  load  through the tube?

Well because some 22's just don't load well thru the port....but I'm sure you know better... Who would think?

;)

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well because some 22's just don't load well thru the port....but I'm sure you know better... Who would think?

;)

The sky is blue.

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

The sky is blue.

To make a general statement that reloading thru the port on a 22 is simple, implies that you have extensive experience in the issue at hand... Please, do tell.

Phantom

15 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah, cuz it's fun to watch them load a round thru the magazine tube... Come on<_<

They start with 11 in the rifle.

Phantom

When I saw young guns in the post my reply was for center fires.  Around here most young guns I have ever shot with used center fires, only buckaroos use .22.

So I'll amend my answer, allow 11 for .22 shooters, require a reload for center fire shooters.

52 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

To make a general statement that reloading thru the port on a 22 is simple, implies that you have extensive experience in the issue at hand... Please, do tell.

Phantom

Like I said above..my 11 year old girl does it with a henry  lever action 22.  But you seem to be one of those that will argue with a brick. Enjoy yourself. Because that is who you will always be with.

20 minutes ago, Lunger Dan said:

Like I said above..my 11 year old girl does it with a henry  lever action 22.  But you seem to be one of those that will argue with a brick. Enjoy yourself. Because that is who you will always be with.

I see. You jump to personal attacks. Nice.

Please explain your initial comment "who would think they need to load through the tube"?

Phantom... The brick.

Archived