SASS Wire Forum

USS Carl Vinson, 1995

DocWard

WWII Aircraft taking off from the USS Carl Vinson. Watch when the B-25s take off. Plenty of room!

Some background to the video clip that I copied from the original YouTube video:

"Aug-Sept 1995 USS Carl Vinson off the coast of Pearl Harbor-Barbers Pt. Oahu. We craned aboard some World War 2 aircraft in Alameda, CA and took them to Hawaii and launched the World War 2 aircraft from the flight deck to commemorate the end of World War 2. I worked in Crash and Salvage on the flight deck as a crew leader driving the fire truck (P16). I was positioned at the front of the ship and recorded this all from the drivers seat. I hope you enjoy!"

Planes (in order):  F4F Wildcat, T-6 Texan, F4U Corsair, TBM Avenger,  Grumman Goose*,  B-25 Mitchell & Grumman Albatross*

*It almost certainly the first and only carrier take off for Grumman Goose and Grumman Albatross

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

Some background to the video clip that I copied from the original YouTube video:

"Aug-Sept 1995 USS Carl Vinson off the coast of Pearl Harbor-Barbers Pt. Oahu. We craned aboard some World War 2 aircraft in Alameda, CA and took them to Hawaii and launched the World War 2 aircraft from the flight deck to commemorate the end of World War 2. I worked in Crash and Salvage on the flight deck as a crew leader driving the fire truck (P16). I was positioned at the front of the ship and recorded this all from the drivers seat. I hope you enjoy!"

Planes (in order):  F4F Wildcat, T-6 Texan*, F4U Corsair, TBM Avenger,  Grumman Goose*,  B-25 Mitchell & Grumman Albatross*

*It almost certainly the first and only carrier take off for Grumman Goose and Grumman Albatross

Not sure if you meant to include the T-6, (a.k.a. SNJ) with an asterisk. My father did his carrier quals (qualifications) in an SNJ toward earning his pilot wings in 1951. :FlagAm:

31 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Not sure if you meant to include the T-6, (a.k.a. SNJ) with an asterisk. My father did his carrier quals (qualifications) in an SNJ toward earning his pilot wings in 1951. :FlagAm:

Thanks, I forgot to remove the asterisk.

Darn! I know General Doolittle proved the B-25's could do short takeoffs, and I know the planes were likely at minimum weight, but the second B-25's takeoff was both super impressive and downright scary! I think if I'd been standing  on the sidelines there I would have been creeping back and getting ready to duck!! 

Better shot of the decal showing the place and date of her carrier launch. Actually spoke to one of the flight crew, he said that takeoff was the most fun he's had in that aircraft.

IMG_4721.JPG

4 hours ago, Doc X said:

Better shot of the decal showing the place and date of her carrier launch. Actually spoke to one of the flight crew, he said that takeoff was the most fun he's had in that aircraft.

He's definitely one of a very small club to have done it!

On 4/28/2020 at 9:28 AM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

That's 'cause they weren't loaded with fuel, bombs, ammo and full crew...^_^

I'm needling ya Doc. That was pretty cool. Never knew this event happened. The acceleration of the WWII birds seems so leisurely compared to the F-18s.

Thx for posting!

The extra 250 feet of flight deck didn't hurt either.

56 minutes ago, DocWard said:

He's definitely one of a very small club to have done it!

For sure! The museum was very proud of this ship and it shows in how well maintained she is. I'd never heard of this museum before but it is very nice. Several very unique aircraft including a nicely restored P-38 that actually has a combat history with the 39th fighter squadron in New Guinea and a fully restored and functional Link trainer.

Archived