SASS Wire Forum

Supermac

Chili Ron

Howdy,

My dear ol silver haired momma use to make this for lunch.

I just assumed all mothers did this.

Well a friend of mine said it was amazing and he had never heard of it.

So I pass along this and maybe it will help pards git thru these times.

Supermac

Needed: a pound of hamburger or ground chuck.

two stalks celery, a sweet onion, Italian spice bottled, velvetta 

elbow macaroni.  large pan, frying pan various implements STRAINER.

Quart or can of tomato juice, can of diced tomatos, can of ital tomato sauce small.

optional-diced quarter of green pepper.

Chop 1/2 onion put in hot fry pan with a little  bacon or other grease.

Put burger in pan, mix and break into little bits. add two shakes of ital seasoning

Add fine chop two celery stalks. green pepper chopped optional.

Macaroni-standard prep.

put two quarts fresh water in large pan.. heat to rollingboil add salt

add two cups macaroni. Cook for 7 or 8 minutes.

pour cooked mac thru strainer.

Put cooked burger mix tomato juice and sauce and diced.

mix all together with cooked macaroni.

Now the tricky part.  The mixture needs to be stirred frequently

as if left alone it will burn to the pan so bad you wont believe it.

Cook for 30-40 minutes. Add two to 8 slices of cheeze, mix in to melt.

options: different cheese, mushrooms,  serve with red wine tossed salad.

Best

CR

My standard non-school day lunch was grilled cheese sandwiches and kosher dill pickles.  Sometimes a bologna sandwich.

Chili Ron, I took the liberty of taking your recipe and converting it to a more standard foremat:

Chili Ron’s Supermac

Needed:

Equipment: large pan, frying pan various implements STRAINER

Ingredients:

1 pound of hamburger or ground chuck

2 stalks celery, finely diced

1/2 sweet onion, chopped

¼ tsp. Italian spice blend

2 to 8 Velveeta Slices (about 1 ½ to 6 ounces of cheese)

8 oz. elbow macaroni

1 Quart or #2 ½ size can of tomato juice

1 can of diced tomatoes

1 8 oz. can of Italian tomato sauce

¼ green bell pepper, finely diced

Macaroni-standard prep.

Bring two quarts fresh water rolling boil in large saucepan, add salt

Add two cups macaroni. Cook for 7 or 8 minutes.

Pour cooked mac thru strainer, return to pan.

While water is coming to a boil and macaroni is cooking:

Chop 1/2 onion put in hot fry pan with a little bacon or other grease.

Put burger in pan, mix and break into little bits. add italian seasoning

Add celery and green pepper if using. Cook until meat is no longer pink. 

Put cooked burger mix, tomato juice, and tomato sauce mix all together with cooked macaroni. Turn heat to low and cook to reduce liquid to sauce consistency.  The mixture needs to be stirred frequently as if left alone it will burn to the pan so bad you won’t believe it.

Cook for 30-40 minutes. Add 2 to 8 slices of cheese, mix in to melt.

Serve with red wine & tossed salad.

options: different cheese, mushrooms

My mother used to make something in the cast iron skillet. It was very quick and easy to make, I know that.

She would start off browning a pound of hamburger. Poor off the grease and then add onions and the spices that she would normally put in spaghetti sauce, along with tomato paste and water. Then she would pour in sea shell macaroni. The sauce and the macaroni cooked together. Start to finish it maybe took 20 minutes.

We called it goop. I wish I knew how she made it, but I never really paid attention as a kid.

Sure was good though.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

We had Baloney sammich, tater chips and koolaid.

We felt blessed and thought that's what everyone had for a midday meal.

..........Widder

Yesterday we had baloney Havarti cheese tomatoe, mine was with mayo, Shirt had mustard on hers. I would have that fer lunch everyday unless there was pizza hangin around ready to eat.

kR

54 minutes ago, Alpo said:

My mother used to make something in the cast iron skillet. It was very quick and easy to make, I know that.

She would start off browning a pound of hamburger. Poor off the grease and then add onions and the spices that she would normally put in spaghetti sauce, along with tomato paste and water. Then she would pour in sea shell macaroni. The sauce and the macaroni cooked together. Start to finish it maybe took 20 minutes.

We called it goop. I wish I knew how she made it, but I never really paid attention as a kid.

Sure was good though.

Alpo, 

It sounds like you pretty well have it figured out.  Just take a hint from Chili Ron on spicing and cook time and you should be good to go. Remember to check the shells for doneness, you want them “Aldenti”, what ever that is.

Chili Ron,

I copied your recipe and fixed it up like SJ did before I read his updated recipe post. I’ll try it in a few days as I have some meatloaf and rotisserie chicken to eat up first. I am collecting recipes as they become available here. So everyone keep posting them. 

CJ

57 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Poor off the grease

When you do that, especially if you have added any seasonings or veggies,  pour it into a strainer over a bowl.   Return the meat to the pan.  Take the grease you poured off and put it in a tall and narrow cup or straight sided jar.  Let it sit for a few minutes to separate and ladle off the fat.  Pour the juices left back into the meat.  Lots of flavor there.

Never thought of that. I separate the grease from the juices with other meats, to use to make gravy. Never really considered making gravy from hamburger, so never separated them. Mostly fed it to the dog over a three or four day period (nuke some and then pour it over her dog food).

Easy way to brown hamburger.

Glass bowl, plastic colander, microwave.

I would nuke it for about 2 minutes, then take it out and bust it up with a fork. Nuke it for another minute. Break it down some more. Repeat as necessary.

Get it as cooked as much as you want, without overcooking, and the grease drains off through the colander into the bowl.

Howdy,

That looks about right except its HALF an onion unless they

are pretty small.  They do vary a LOT.

The Italy  seasoning should be added to raw burger.

Im sure Mom used salt and maybe pepper but I don't.

And I add tomato juice when reheating.

A single bowl can be microwaved to reheat.

Also on reheat more cheese could be added.

My brother in law used to pick out the individual mushroom bits.

Mom put in mushrooms about half the time.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

That looks about right except its HALF an onion unless they

are pretty small.  They do vary a LOT.

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

And I add tomato juice when reheating.

You ain't kidding.  We get some of our produce from an outfit called "Imperfect Produce"  and got some onions from them that are just a bit bigger than a golf ball.  Went into the bin with some I got from the store that are about soft ball size.  Of course, in most recipes the amount of onion is a matter of personal taste.

Your OP seemed to indicate that the tomato juice and sauce went in at the same time.  I did correct the amount of onion, but I'm not going to go back and edit the rest.

But thanks, at least I got in the ballpark.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Never thought of that. I separate the grease from the juices with other meats, to use to make gravy. Never really considered making gravy from hamburger, so never separated them.

I use it as "gravy" in the older sense of what we now call pan drippings.  Also, when I add it back into the ground meat I let it reduce until it is almost gone.  Get rid of the water to concentrate the flavor.

That sounds similar to what we in Ohio might call "Johnny Marzetti," except that is traditionally done as a casserole.

Howdy,

I appreciate the rewrite.

Very nice.

I did reread and yes the sauce and tomato juice all of it

goes in at the same time and a little water to get all the good stuff

rinsed out of cans.

With the lean chuck I get, very little grease to worry about.

They sell even leaner burger. I bet it sucks grease out of the fry pan.

I have about zero experience writing these.

All help appreciated.

One other OPTION CORN.

Sliced fresh off the cob or canned from the cupboard...

And don't freeze it. I hear it gets way mushy. I never tried it.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

I have about zero experience writing these.

One of my hobbies is reading old cookbooks.  Really old.  Where you get things like:

To make an Egg-Pye, or Mince-Pye of Eggs.

Take the Yolks of two dozen of Eggs hard boyled, shred them, take the same quantity of Beef-Suet, half a pound of Pippins, a pound of Currans well washt, and dry'd, half a pound of Sugar, a penny-worth of beaten Spice, a few Carraway-Seeds, a little Candyed Orange-peel shred, a little Verjuice and Rosewater; fill the Coffin, and bake it with gentle heat.

To make a forc'd dish of any cold meat

Take any cold meat and shred it small, a little Cloves and Mace, and Nutmeg, and two yolks of Eggs, a spoonful or two of Rosewater, a little grated bread, a little Beef suet shred small, make it up into balls or any fashion you please, and boyl them in fried suet between two earthen dishes, your suet must boil before you put in your meat; for sauce, a little Butter, Verjuyce, and Sugar.

To boyle a Capon Larded with Lemmons, on the French fashion.

Scald your Capon, and take a little dusty Oatmeale to make it boile white. Then take two or three ladlefuls of Mutton broth, a Fagot of sweet Hearbes, two or three Dates, cut in long pieces, a few parboyld Currins, a little whole Pepper, a piece of whole Mace, and one Nutmeg. Thicken it with Almonds. Season it with Vergis, Sugar, and a little sweet Butter. Then take up your Capon, and larde it very thicke with a preserved Lemmon. Then lay your Capon in a deepe Meat dish for boyld meates, and poure the broth upon it. Garnish your Dish with Suckets and preserved Barberries.

Your's was a piece of cake.  Above recipes from http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec.html

Archived