SASS Wire Forum

Covid 19 - unexpected consequence

Warden Callaway

Health care workers are being laid off by the thousands. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/8/21213995/coronavirus-us-layoffs-furloughs-hospitals

Farmers dumping milk and letting food go unharvested.

https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/covid-19-forces-dairy-farmers-to-dump-milk/

This whole food chain thing I don't get.  Everyone has to eat.  Just that now they have limited choices of where they eat.  Kids not drink milk when they are not at home?   Eat a lot less but need 100x TP?  

I couldn't find a link back but people trying to grow their own food are buying baby chicks.  But they are not prepared to deal with possible diseases that are a real possibility.   Here is a link to the details. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/backyard-chicken-trend-turns-deadly/

My wife has had chickens for a number of years. She babies them like her children. Special food, free range and cleans their coop regularly. Started with 8 about 4 years ago, down to 2 now. (the dangers of free ranging out here in the country...foxes, eagles, dogs, etc). We love their eggs, so much better than store bought. Only problem is getting a neighbor to take care of them when we are traveling.

I have not found conformation on this but maybe someone else can.  From an inside source says hospitals are paid three times as much to treat a "suspected" case of COVID-19.  Surely there is no incentive to "suspect" a case of normal flu or cold or just seasonal allergies as COVID-19 in crime free places like NYC?

I may be mistaken, but I think the thing with dumping food has to do with a shortage of transportation due to personnel either being laid off or testing positive for the virus.  As far as farmers letting food go unharvested, it may be they don't have enough workers to do the job. :unsure:

I read a piece on Facebook (take that how you want) that was accredited to a dairy farmer who said that the milk processing facilities are geared mostly toward the school lunch sized milk cartons and with no schools in session it's taking a while to retool the processing lines to produce larger containers of milk. Consequently, the processors have a backlog of milk in storage so new milk gets tossed. Don't know if it's true or not...

4 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I may be mistaken, but I think the thing with dumping food has to do with a shortage of transportation due to personnel either being laid off or testing positive for the virus.  As far as farmers letting food go unharvested, it may be they don't have enough workers to do the job. :unsure:

That is one of the problems. 

I am only seeing about 1/4 of the truck traffic I normally see in SoCal. 

1 hour ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I read a piece on Facebook (take that how you want) that was accredited to a dairy farmer who said that the milk processing facilities are geared mostly toward the school lunch sized milk cartons and with no schools in session it's taking a while to retool the processing lines to produce larger containers of milk. Consequently, the processors have a backlog of milk in storage so new milk gets tossed. Don't know if it's true or not...

Yes that’s true. The milk that gets dumped is spoiled awaiting the pasteurization process. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have not found conformation on this but maybe someone else can.  From an inside source says hospitals are paid three times as much to treat a "suspected" case of COVID-19.  Surely there is no incentive to "suspect" a case of normal flu or cold or just seasonal allergies as COVID-19 in crime free places like NYC?

I don’t know anything about the covid pay structure incentives. True if not, it still pales in comparison to the real money makers in hospitals: surgeries. Hospital patient care is a loss. It’s the surgeries, drugs, and medical supplies where the money is. Hospitals all across the country are losing money right now and a lot. If this drags on for an extended period, without stimulus relief, a lot of hospitals will close 

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Rush had the figures the other day, Medicare pays $13,000 for a Covid patient, $39,000 if they have to go on a ventilator.

I don't know how or what they are billing, but I do know that the hospitals are focused on COVID and intensive care, emergency, and trauma. almost nothing is being done that is elective even up to things like colonoscopy and gall bladder surgery. The family practices are only seeing the most needed cases. In perspective, a doc at a family practice who normally might see 25-35 patients a day (or more) is now seeing 0-5 or 6 in person and a few more virtually. Most of their time is spent consulting over the phone. At least that is what I am seeing at the healthcare system I support. As to my job, it is limited strictly to COVID IT needs and actual break/fix support.

As for me, personally speaking for myself only, I think a lot of this is media generated panic. I further think that the nefarious Dems are using this to their advantage in every way they can. Take, for instance, our governor, Gov Clansrobes Blackface; when Trump extended the stay at home to 1 May 20, Northam used that excuse to extend the one in Virginia to 10 Jun 20. Yes, the tenth of June. And amazingly enough the Virginia state Republican primary was scheduled to be held on 9 Jun 20. The racist anti-gun weasel.

Our son that's a nurse in an urgent care facility has been reporting case load down by about 2/3s.  He's been spending time walking the parking lot.  Some days that he's been scheduled to work he's been put on standby at home on call. 

Archived