SASS Wire Forum

Keeping drains moving

Rye Miles #13621

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

The vent stacks you see on the roof are for equalizing pressures from the drain lines and to vent sewer gases and smells from the house. The reason you see them over kitchens and bathrooms is because you need adequate vent space for every place water enters your drain system. While they can be clogged, a properly laid out vent stack getting clogged is rare.

A common reason for them to get clogged is the use of a Tee at the junction of the vertical and horizontal pipe instead of a Wye. Although the pipes look similar, they have different functions. In the instance a Tee is used, solid matter can splash back and rest on the horizontal portion of the pipe and form a clog over time. When this happens and someone goes onto the roof with a sewer snake to free the clog, they end up poking a hole in the bottom of the Tee and letting water and gross stuff into their crawlspace because a Tee wont allow the snake to make the turn. This is especially the case for homes built prior to that code change.        The best place for a sewer snake to enter a line is at the cleanout that was put there for that specific reason. If you dont have one or cant find it under the house, add one. I put a cleanout in my tightline every 75 feet all the way to my field lines.

I've been in 100's of houses being built of the years, but never saw a Tee fitting used at that juncture. I never would have thought that anyone would use a Tee for that purpose. Looks like I should stick with Electrical and leave the plumbing for others. Also looks like I owe you a Nanner Split when I see you. Thanks

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No offense but Thanks but I’ll stick with what my plumber says.;)

Looks like I owe you an apology for bad advice. Pay no attention to the previous posts. To make up for it, I'll ask Kevin Cash (TB Rays Manager) to let you guys win one during the year. I don't think he'll listen but it's the thought that counts.:rolleyes::D

54 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've been in 100's of houses being built of the years, but never saw a Tee fitting used at that juncture. I never would have thought that anyone would use a Tee for that purpose. Looks like I should stick with Electrical and leave the plumbing for others. Also looks like I owe you a Nanner Split when I see you. Thanks

Looks like I owe you an apology for bad advice. Pay no attention to the previous posts. To make up for it, I'll ask Kevin Cash (TB Rays Manager) to let you guys win one during the year. I don't think he'll listen but it's the thought that counts.:rolleyes::D

I like me some nanner splits!

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'm trying to keep my weight down so instead of a "nanner split" I'll just take the cash instead! :lol:

As far as the TB's letting the Indians win one, could you at least make it a split series??:P

36 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm trying to keep my weight down so instead of a "nanner split" I'll just take the cash instead! :lol:

As far as the TB's letting the Indians win one, could you at least make it a split series??:P

Naw, I'm greedy. Kind of have to be with our closers. They give away more games than they "save". Go Rays and anyone who plays the Yankees and Astros.

If you have trees near your mainline, I have been told that using rock salt and hot water every month will help to keep the tree roots from growing into the lines.  I do it regularly, but I can only say I have had no clogs since starting the process. 

I use about a pound of rock salt each time.

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

If you have trees near your mainline, I have been told that using rock salt and hot water every month will help to keep the tree roots from growing into the lines.  I do it regularly, but I can only say I have had no clogs since starting the process. 

I use about a pound of rock salt each time.

And how much water?

None of the plumbers I know use chemicals. Acids eat up your metal pipes. I'm a facilities supervisor over 17 buildings and 5 apartment complexes and we do not use chemicals of any sort. Best way to keep pipes running smoothly is to educate people on what they cannot put down a sink. We have a couple buildings with drains on north facing walls that are continual problems, grease builds up due to cold pipes. We run hot water through those lines with Dawn dishwashing liquid, turn the water heater up hot as it will get and run the water about 15 minutes, then turn the water heater down to normal. Traps get clogged, especially those with the little stopper

rods that catch hair, combs, tooth brushes, mascara brushes, drinking straws, etc.

18 minutes ago, Assassin said:

None of the plumbers I know use chemicals. Acids eat up your metal pipes. I'm a facilities supervisor over 17 buildings and 5 apartment complexes and we do not use chemicals of any sort. Best way to keep pipes running smoothly is to educate people on what they cannot put down a sink. 

You must have some old buildings to have metal pipes:D. And a different kind of person than I have to deal with if they actually listen to what they're not supposed to put down the drain:ph34r:.

Landlady didn’t want to hear about my toilet gurgling problem, believed it was something I could fix with a plunger.  Every time upstairs flushed my toilet gurgled.

sunday the utility sink in the cellar backed up. Yesterday a plumber came and ran something that sounded like a dentist’s low speed drill. Blamed tree roots even though there’s not a living tree within 300 feet.

the good news is my toilet is not gurgling.

On 3/1/2020 at 7:05 PM, Whiskey Business said:

Maybe switch to liquid soap. Bar soap tends to clog drains. Worked for this old house.

Learned that one the hard way, it's what choked off our shower!

EDIT TO ADD -- Thank you, one and all:  to quote the late Paul Harvey, "I am listening with both eyes!"
Here be voices of experience, and I am already benefitted from the listening -- er, reading!
My shower and my bathroom sink both needed work:  I bought a brand new, cup shaped toilet plunger -- the one dedicated to the toilet has the extended end, and is used only, only!! for the toilet -- the simple old fashioned suction cup shaped plunger is dedicated to the other drains.
Shower drain stopped up completely: I stood barefoot in an inch of water, set the brand new plunger over the perforated cover and addressed it briskly for just under one full minute.  I thrashed loose an amazing amount of corruption and it's run smooth and problem free even since, this a half year's worth.
Bathroom sink slowed to an unacceptable trickle two weeks ago so I treated it after the same wise, and with the same result:  it's running fine and dandy now!
Took a look at my plumbing vents: the one that comes out the roof, goes vertical down and into a cleanout T beside the basement laundry crock.
Should I have need to snake the lines, I've already decided where to cut the lines and install cleanout Ys.

Plastic drain pipes and a 20 year old house ... God be praised, those two clogs were the only ones we've had!

11 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

You must have some old buildings to have metal pipes:D. And a different kind of person than I have to deal with if they actually listen to what they're not supposed to put down the drain:ph34r:.

Our admin building was built in 1910. Yes, it does have original cast iron piping. One apartment complex built in 1946 with lots of galvanized piping. Those metal traps don't hold up to acids for very long and the plumbers get kind of pissed off when they remove a trap full of acid and it gets all over their hands and clothing, definitely will let you know of any open wounds. As for educating tenants, I can only make recommendations to them, they don't always follow through. Office workers are easily intimidated.

Build it properly the first time and there will be fewer problems in the future. 

Less water flow seems to cause the problem...I have my main two drains snaked twice year, preventive...Kitchen and master bath shower....I spend the time and money and so far it has been working very well for me....I don't like problems on Turkey Day....

Texas Lizard

Archived