SASS Wire Forum

Lighter hammer springs for TTN?

Smiling Wolf

Thank You Jim, I'll try them

I only see the top lever spring on their site so give them a call for the sear springs.  They are wire springs and pretty simple to get working.

Just advice.  If you are going to grind on your springs,  find another set before you start. I have a feeling they are difficult to find.  Go too far or break one and... :(

Also a spring vise would come in real handy.  It can be found at places like Track of the Wolf, Dixie gun Works,  etc. I show the spring vise in this video.

I read some advice I try to adhere to... hold your springs in your bare hands while grinding and you will always let go of the spring (stop grinding) before you damage (overheat) the spring.

Recent build TTN Hammer Guns come from the factory with very light Main Springs.  Reducing them further may/will result in frequent fail to fire due to light primer strikes.  Before you do anything, contact Cimarron for a set or two of new springs.  You're going to need them.  The Slixspring for the Top Lever is very nice indeed.

If you have a very old TTN, BEFORE you attempt to grind on the springs, I'd strongly suggest a set of NEW springs from Cimarron which will be much lighter than the old OEM Main Springs.

11 minutes ago, Smiling Wolf said:

Any videos out there showing how to change the main springs and the lever spring on a TTN?

Thank You

S.W.

The video I posted on changing the springs on the Liberty hammer double above would work for changing out the hammer springs.  I have made and installed a top lever spring for an original Colt 1878 but no video.  

There is a series of videos featuring Jack Rowe on the MidwayUSA YouTube channel.  

I'm not sure if any show installing a top lever spring. 

The springs in there ARE the light springs.

When they first came out years ago, "heavy" springs were installed, and they shipped with a set of lighter springs.

When I bought mine (first or second year of production), I got it from Nate Kiowa Jones.

NKJ had already installed the lighter springs, and had done an action job on it.

Later, Walt (the importer) started selling them with the lighter springs installed.

They wore out a had to be replaced after 7 or 8 years of hard use.

I agree with the others -- have a spare set before you start grinding. 

--Dawg

Archived