SASS Wire Forum

Lighten a win 94 Hammer spring ?

Johnny Loco

I’m looking to lighten my Win 94 A/E Big Bore Hammer spring a little. What would be the easiest way to knock just a touch of pressure off of it?

Could I clip a coil off whilst its still on the rifle?

Thanks

94 should not have a round coil spring.

Most 94s I have worked on has Two flat springs. 

I have removed the short spring with good luck and have not had to work on the long spring at all.

Rooster 

4 hours ago, Johnny Loco said:

I thought the A/E was coiled?

You are mostly correct. 

Most have this rebounding hammer setup. ( no 1/4 cock safety) Does your's have the cross bolt safety? If it does and you cut the spring it may not be reliable.

image.png.2587afcc1c3767f5a6162bb7d119ac2a.png

But, there were some 94's (don't know if these were before the AE) that were non rebounding and had 1/4 cock hammer safety. They are a little more forgiving cutting the spring.

image.png.a97bc07e483d5ba2ba74316218adbbc0.png

Steve,

Are you still up by Marble Falls? Yes, its the rebounding cross bolt. I heard it could be converted to 1/4 cock. I was thinking the same about cutting the spring. I almost cut two coils off with the dremel but didn’t.

I really need this one to be reliable as its my little shoot mucho tote for bear country 444..

I looked closely at the front side of the hammer and it had a steep edge that really made it a stopping point for the bolt where it needed a bunch of extra force. I rounded that edge off and polished it and it made a big difference in constant motion. 

Since you are not using this gun in competition, but for hunting and defense, I would say, don't lighten the hammer spring!  The '94 of course is pretty lousy anyway for competitive pistol cartridge use (yeah, I have one too and disappointed myself early on trying to shoot cowboy matches with it).  

I'd just enjoy the gun as produced, and realize you may not be able to put ten shots into a bear in 3 seconds.  So, use quality hunting loads and make each shot count.

Good luck, GJ

Kind of apples to oranges, but I had an Uberti  66 that had had its hammer spring lightened.  I got it used.   It was so light that you could see the hammer travelling noticeably slower than on my Uberti Henry.  So light that sometimes it didn't hit the primer hard enough to make it go bang.   You probably would not want that to happen when hunting.   [I had my 66 returned to "factory specs" soon after I discovered this issue.]

The mdl 94 Winchester BB used a coil spring as described by Nate.  The regular mdl 94 from the mid-70's to serial number in the 4,580,xxx range used the second type of lockwork Nate shows.  If you change the lower tang, hammer strut & hammer, trigger & sear from this range rifle you'll have successfully changed to a 1/2 cock hammer.  All parts interchange, but you need the full group to effect the change. 

Actually rounding off that spot on the hammer and installing a lever wrap has done the trick. I can deal with a heavy spring, its that non fluid stop which made it hard to cope with. The trigger pull is of no consequence. I read about the hammer radius job from google gunsmith. I examined whether it would interfere with hitting the firing pin or cocking. It made no difference with either.

Thanks

On 11/14/2019 at 7:57 AM, Johnny Loco said:

Steve,

Are you still up by Marble Falls? Yes, its the rebounding cross bolt. I heard it could be converted to 1/4 cock. I was thinking the same about cutting the spring. I almost cut two coils off with the dremel but didn’t.

I really need this one to be reliable as its my little shoot mucho tote for bear country 444..

I looked closely at the front side of the hammer and it had a steep edge that really made it a stopping point for the bolt where it needed a bunch of extra force. I rounded that edge off and polished it and it made a big difference in constant motion. 

I may have those parts to convert it. 

shoot me an email here

STEVE@STEVESGUNZ.COM

and I'll see what I have

Archived