SASS Wire Forum

I never heard of this

I rented an apartment, wrote a check to the owner, did due diligence, he is the owner. Is known, etc. so I trust that. Check is $2500. He deposited it today, it was an online deposit which I have done but with my credit union.  The bank asked for my date of birth.

has anyone else experienced this?

I once had an arrogant teller ask my mother's maiden name.  I was making a deposit to my own account.  :mellow:

Your “mothers maiden name“ is a password on the account. They ask you for that because it should be easy for you to remember. You can tell them anything as far as the password goes.   If you do “just tell them anything,”  make sure you remember it or write it down.  If they insist, tell them “no“. 

Cat Brules

2 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Your “mothers maiden name“ is a password on the account. They ask you for that because it should be easy for you to remember. You can tell them anything as far as the password goes.   If you do “just tell them anything,”  make sure you remember it or write it down.  If they insist, tell them “no“. 

Cat Brules

Naw.  This was a number of years ago, in San Francisco.  No passwords used then.  My account, my payroll check, and I had my checkbook and a deposit slip.  Every movement on the teller's part was in ultra slow motion, while wearing a disdainful facial expression, and the teller at the next window smirking.

At the time it was quite obviously ethnic harassment.  

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Oh, I understand it now, they opened a bank account for my deposit.

If YOU were opening an account, I can maybe see them wanting your date of birth.

But HIM opening an account, and using your check as his initial deposit - all they should be concerned with was IS THERE $2500 IN THAT ACCOUNT, which they should be able to find out instantly, using the numbers on the bottom of the check.

A couple of times I have had one of my bank's ask for my password while I was making a deposit.

I guess they're on guard for every type of scam there is in the world, but it sure annoys the hell out of me.

Like what, some thug is going to walk in and deposit money in my account. More power to him.

Deposits over$10,000.00 must be reported to the Federal Government by law. (Thank you Washington)

Amounts over $5000.00 on a continuing bases also get scrutinized and can be reported. (You may be laundering money)

Amounts under that, I would tell them to pound sand and if I got any guff, there probably is a bank across the street that would love to have your business.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Naw.  This was a number of years ago, in San Francisco.  No passwords used then.  My account, my payroll check, and I had my checkbook and a deposit slip.  Every movement on the teller's part was in ultra slow motion, while wearing a disdainful facial expression, and the teller at the next window smirking.

At the time it was quite obviously ethnic harassment.  

WOW!  You're an ethnic?  Who would have guessed? :rolleyes: :D

21 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Deposits over$10,000.00 must be reported to the Federal Government by law. (Thank you Washington)

Amounts over $5000.00 on a continuing bases also get scrutinized and can be reported. (You may be laundering money)

Amounts under that, I would tell them to pound sand and if I got any guff, there probably is a bank across the street that would love to have your business.

Done that to B of A, American Express, and Wells Fargo over the years.

43 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

WOW!  You're an ethnic?  Who would have guessed? :rolleyes: :D

Well, I was certainly a different ethic than that young lady bank teller.  Reckon she felt she had a couple of centuries of "injustices" to make up for and I was a good start.  :mellow:

41 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Done that to B of A, American Express, and Wells Fargo over the years.

BofA.  I used to work for those clowns that once fine institution, in San Francisco.  I was a department head and project manager, with a VP pay grade (but AVP title - I refused to do something unethical, and that pissed off too many jackasses above me to ever get a title promotion.  Didn't care, and that REALLY pissed 'em off. ^_^)

Many stories I could share...  :(

Then came the year that three of my colleagues died* and I ended up in the cardiac ward.  To make a long story short, after permanent meds and six weeks of cardiac rehab and stress management courses, my cardiologist told me that he'd give me five years to find a new lifestyle (aka career), or start right then and there putting my affairs in order.  Bein' the bright boy I was, I came up with a plan, and five years later I was in the Central Valley working for a non-profit, growing vegetables, and playing Cowboy Shooter. cowboy.gif

*One fella came out of the bosses office, went home, and died.  Second fella came out of the bosses office, went into his own office and shut the door and died.  Third fella came out of the bosses office, went home, and did himself in.  Wasn't even the worst boss!

Sondsvlike the  “ boss” should have been beaten with beaten with a bat.

Cat Brules

Archived