SASS Wire Forum

Black powder cleanup

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Widow of my good cowboy friend wants to shoot up his black powder ammo and asked for help with the cleaning of the rifle. What works well. I've never shot the Holy Black before. Thanks

I use PAM, one third each of Peroxide, Alcohol, Murphy's oil soap. Works well, but I do get flash rust in my muzzle loader if I don't run a patch of Ballistol soon after cleaning. The sooner you clean the easier it is. With real black I don't get corrosion for a few days but the fouling is harder and and more difficult to clean. With substitutes like Pyrodex, I find cleaning immediately is paramount and still too late sometimes. Stick with the real stuff.

(PAM) Murphy's Mix, followed by a spray, wipe and patch with Ballistol......So easy a caveman could do it.;) When I don't want clean for  few days I'll spray a very light coat of Ballistol in the action and barrels, makes the fouling soft and very easy to clean up later. Good Luck:)

''Eyesa Horg'', try a hair dryer on your muzzle loader. Good Luck:)

3 hours ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

(PAM) Murphy's Mix, followed by a spray, wipe and patch with Ballistol......So easy a caveman could do it.;) When I don't want clean for  few days I'll spray a very light coat of Ballistol in the action and barrels, makes the fouling soft and very easy to clean up later. Good Luck:)

''Eyesa Horg'', try a hair dryer on your muzzle loader. Good Luck:)

Thanks, I'll do that! I shoot it about 20-30 rounds each week so will try it this Wednesday. Thanks again. Just started casting my own balls this week, that was pretty neat and fun. Nice and shiny too! Always bought Hornady, but lately they look like golf balls and the size varies as much as .005.:(

Contact some of the experienced BP shooters at your range and ask for help.  It’s no trouble to clean the guns at the range immediately after the shoot. Let the soot lords know the situation and they can bring what they need to send her home with clean firearms.

According to an article in Muzzleloader magazine, a few years ago, it is a very simple clean up, and I tried it, and it works great.  Go buy a gallon of the blue windshield washer fluid.  Costs about two yankee dollars.  Put a piece of cloth, or a spent cartridge in the breech of your rifle, and close the breech to seal up that end of the barrel.  Stand the rifle up, and pour the blue windshield washer fluid down the barrel, until it is full.  Let it stand for about five minutes.  Pour that out, and do it a second time.  After you pour it out a second time, run a bronze brush, soaked in the blue windshield washer fluid, down the bore.  Do that twice.  Then follow it with a couple of patches soaked in the blue windshield washer fluid.  Then run a couple of dry patches through the bore. Then run a patch down the barrel, with your favorite gun oil on it, and that's it.  Takes about fifteen minutes, and five patches.  I tried that on my Rossi model '92 clone, after a cow patty shooting session, out in my Dad's pasture, and it works great.  The bore is shiny and clean.  No hot water, no soapy water, no tons of cleaning patches, easy as pie, it's cheap, and it really works.  Muzzleloader magazine is produced by the N.M.L.R.A., and they should know a thing or three about black-powder, and cleaning, and they do.  I not only clean my lever action rifles, and C.A.S. revolvers, this way, but my muzzleloaders too.

Sure beats a stick in the eye.   

There ya go.

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

Windshield water fluid IS soapy water. I feel confident I can make my own.

Archived