SASS Wire Forum

Old school Airborne.

Utah Bob #35998

I have had the unplanned opportunity to be sitting in a airport, waiting for something or other, and seeing platoons of recruits line up for transport to their “boot camp”, for a few different countries. Somehow trainees all have similar characteristics., differ from their cadre in similar ways. The most recent was in Vnukova int. Aeroport in Moscow, it was 100+/- cruits in new blue parkas and black rabbit fur ushankas.

I wondered how they would do now that soldiers are now allowed more than one shower a week and can wear socks instead of wrapping their feet,  ahhh such a soft life for this new generation.

———————

result of the sock and shower changes was that there were fewer respiratory infections in the service.  “Wrapping their feet”was a tradition from the czarist armies that persisted until 2014.

I do wish they still had the old Class B khaki uniform.

Back in 1974, I was signed up to go to jump school at Fort Benning. The Army allowed a number of Navy and Marine Corps midshipman to attend. At the time, I still had a bit of a fear of heights. I figured jumping out of an airplane might cure that. :D Unfortunately, I was having some health issues and had to give up my dream of becoming an Officer of Marines. :(

Looking back, I think the reason I wanted to go to jump school was so I could have something to pin on my uniform. Hard to understand the mind of a 19 year old. :):)

Was fun to watch...a little hoaky and predictable but still fun.

Bugler

11 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

GTFO-NOW.jpg

Some guys need a bit more motivation.

15 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Which one are you, Bob?

That was ‘62.

I was in the modern army.

‘66. :P

14 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I have a lot of respect for anyone brave enough to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft...that isn't on fire or has lost a wing or tail!

As I have mentioned before, nothing is perfect. ;)

Archived