SASS Wire Forum

That just sounds SO nasty

Alpo

2019-07-15-1098-rightful-german-clay.png

The sign at the food tent in the background. And the HUGE amount of food he's bringing the woman.

Since I knew what "coffee and cake" was, obviously that over-filled platter is the schlachtplatte.

Wiki to the rescue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlachteplatte

> a hearty German dish that primarily consists of boiled belly pork (Kesselfleisch) and freshly cooked Blutwurst and Leberwurst sausages<

Boiled pig belly with blood sausage and liver sausage.

Now, that might be delicious. Most German food I've eaten has been. But GOD, that just sounds nasty.

Forget the food! What in the heck is that “comic” strip anyway?

The strip is written by a German, but it's taking place in the United States. It's about Sandra, that teenage girl, and her pet raccoon, Woo.

In this arc, there has been a huge war in western Europe,  and the US is being heavily invaded by German immigrants (edit: "refugees" is a better word). And how they don't eat the same food as we do here in the States. And they don't have the same religion. And they don't have the same way of thinking about things. They're DIFFERENT. And they want to do everything the same way they did it back where they came from.

I believe the artist is actually talking about the Muslim immigrants in Germany.

If you'd like to read the whole arc (as of today there are only six strips), so it might make more sense, here's the first strip.

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2019/06/27/1093-die-flut-the-flood/

I see. A rather clumsy metaphorical cartoon. <_<

I was in Munich around 1988, walking in the center of the city. I walked past a butcher shop. In the window were several cow parts, including a spleen and a heart.  OMG, thought I, I didn’t think those were the kinds of parts that would be put forth in a window to tempt one to enter the shop.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I was in Munich around 1988, walking in the center of the city. I walked past a butcher shop. In the window were several cow parts, including a spleen and a heart.  OMG, thought I, I didn’t think those were the kinds of parts that would be put forth in a window to tempt one to enter the shop.

I can't be the only oldtimer here who remembers when organ meats were common. My mom often made baked, stuffed beef heart, tongue sandwiches were common fare, as was steak and kidney pie. Veal sweetbreads were common on the menus of good restaurants. Liver and onions were commonplace.

You can't even find this stuff anymore, except maybe liver and then you have to search....

30 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I can't be the only oldtimer here who remembers when organ meats were common. My mom often made baked, stuffed beef heart, tongue sandwiches were common fare, as was steak and kidney pie. Veal sweetbreads were common on the menus of good restaurants. Liver and onions were commonplace.

You can't even find this stuff anymore, except maybe liver and then you have to search....

I regularly see both tongue and heart at Safeway.   At Lucky recently I've seen lamb tongue,  pig tongue,  pigs ears, and tripe.

Only problem is that tongue,  which used to be dirt cheap, is now a "specialty meat " and goes for 7 or 8 bucks a pound. 

Archived