SASS Wire Forum

Can't sell a Nova in Mexico

Alpo

I'm sure everyone has read this at one time or another. When Chevy first took the Nova to Mexico it wouldn't sell. No Va means "doesn't go" in Spanish.

This is a stupid urban legend. PEMEX used to sell a leaded premium gasoline called Nova. They do know the difference, down there, between No Va (won't go) and Nova (exploding star).

But it made a good story. People would not buy a car because of what it said on it. Did not matter if the car was a good car or a bad car, because of what it said on it.

So yesterday while I'm out walking the dog I see a pickup truck. There is a graphic on the windshield. I thought the driver had put that there himself, for some strange reason. Then I see the same graphic on the rear quarter panel. TRD.

I just now looked that up. It stands for Toyota Racing Development. But when I first saw it my immediate thought was, "Who would buy a truck that says TURD on it?"

My step son used to race against Ivan Stewart who drove for the Toyota race team and helped them develope the Toyota racing trucks and eventually the TRD. Ivan got quite offended when you would call one of the TRD’s a turd but not many people let that stop them. You’d think they’d come up with something a little more creative.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Doesn't this truck say turd?

No...but I can see how one would think that.

It could also be 'Tard :lol:

Sort of along this line, I was somewhat startled when KIA automobiles first arrived.

For those of us of an age, "KIA" on the evening news was always a pretty somber thing.  :mellow:

Archived