SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pulp, SASS#28319

Running on three engines, or optical illusion?

I was taking sunrise pictures the other morning and snapped this jet flying over.  Didn't realize it till I got the pics on the computer, but it sure looks like there are only three engines running.

Any thoughts or theories?

DSCN9709.JPG

Why do you say that?  Where is the 4th contrail?  Not arguing or trying to prove anything because I really don't have a clue to prove.  It's just one of those curiosities that fog up my brain. :)

I don't know. However, if you look at the very right of the photo, the starboard contrail appears to split, whereas the port trail appears to converge. :unsure:

Illusion. Angle of view/perspective makes it appear that way. If the plane was directly overhead, you'd see the 4th contrail. As Trailrider says, the contrail splits in the top right of the pic. 

The starboard side c'trail is also denser than the port side. ;)

OLG

There is only supposed to be two. The third one is actually a Chem Trail and it contains the chemicals that we inhale that makes us compliant... :P

I'd be willing to say most of us on this forum are immune!

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The starboard side c'trail is also denser than the port side. ;)

OLG

Is that driver's side then?:D

1 hour ago, Knarley Bob said:

Is that driver's side then?:D

Port side is plane commander.

Unless you're in a helo........:P

OLG

Heavy aircraft create wing tip vortices which are basically horizontal tornadoes.  This has nothing to do with the question, but it is the only thing I know so I use it often!

Actually, all aircraft create wingtip vortices. The bigger the plane, the bigger and stronger the vortex. That's what caused the mid-air collision that destroyed the XB-70 back in 1966 in addition to other accidents through the years.

Probably more than you wanted to know!  :) 

If youblook closely at the right two, at the firward edge, you can see two contrail tips before they merge due to camera angle. The rudder is aligned, so all four are operating.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.