SASS Wire Forum
Dorado

Stainless steel.

So I'm in need of a strip of stainless steel. I need 3/16" or there abouts, 1x10" flat bar. Any good suppliers that you'd recommend or anyone just happen to have a strip like that laying about? Must be stainless steel, making something for my boat that'll be welded onto a stainless bar.

For marine applications make sure it is 316 stainless and not 306.  316 is significantly more corrosion resistant.

McMaster-Carr

Scroll down to find size.

https://www.mcmaster.com/316-stainless-steel

OR look up this part number on McMaster-Carr’s website. 3/16”x1” in various lengths by the foot.  Part #9083K35

• Like 3

We have a company "Metal Supermarket" in Nashville that sells by the pound and in any size you want, if it is manufactured that way. You dont have to buy a 20 foot piece, just a little more by the pound. Also there is no cut charge if you want lots of little pieces. It is a franchise , there may be one near you.

Imis

+1 for McMaster-Carr. Order today delivered tomorrow in most cases.

As mentioned, there's stainless and then there's stainless. Marine grade has more nickel in it.

Getting to talk to the local supplier is a pain. I'm at work before and after their hours and they're on the opposite side of town so there's no rushing down to pick it up during lunch....I'll try to order some. I figured 316 would be best. Just need to order it in.

Heard back from a machine shop that's done some good work for me in the past. He'll order the metal, cut it out to my specs and will weld it on for $35. Gonna take him up on his offer as that's a lot better that what I was going to do.