SASS Wire Forum

Recalled ammo from Winchester

Widder, SASS #59054

I got an email this afternoon stating that Winchester is RECALLING its .38 special, 130 grain ammo.

I do not know if the email was legit, but thought I would pass it on.

P.S. - Winchester has my email because of recent rebates I have participated in.

..........Widder

Winchester has issued a recall for three lots of .38 Spl. 130-gr. FMJ center-fire ammunition. A press release issued reads as follows:

“Olin Winchester, LLC (“Winchester”) is recalling three (3) lots of 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket centerfire ammunition.

Symbol: USA38SPVP
Lot Numbers: KF21, KL30 and KM52

Winchester has determined the above lots of 38 Special ammunition may contain incorrect powder charges. Ammunition with excessive powder charges may cause firearm damage, rendering it inoperable, and subjecting the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury or death.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® 38 SPECIAL 130 GRAIN SYMBOL USA38SPVP WITH LOT NUMBERS KF21, KL30 or KM52. The ammunition Lot Number is ink stamped inside the right tuck flap of the 100-round carton as indicated here. The symbol is printed above the UPC bar code. 

win38spl_2.jpg?width=621&height=252

To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol and Lot Number. If it is Symbol USA38SPVP with Lot Number KF21, KL30 or KM52, immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 844-653-8358 for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

This notice applies only to Symbol USA38SPVP with Lot Numbers KF21, KL30 and KM52. Other Symbol or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.

If you have any questions concerning this 38 Special centerfire ammunition recall please call toll-free 844-653-8358, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 Attn: USA38SPVP Recall), or visit our website at winchester.com.”

Don"t understand why they think 130 FMJ is what people want in their 38"s      GW

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It was the military load from back in the day. ;)

OLG

SO

Not wanting to be smart to OLG.  My reply was pointed at why make them?    Underpowered, over penetrating round that IMHO has no use. No good for plinking, target shooting or self defense.  Think I would rather shoot something with a 148 full wadcutter!        GW 

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I got an email this afternoon stating that Winchester is RECALLING its .38 special, 130 grain ammo.

I do not know if the email was legit, but thought I would pass it on.

P.S. - Winchester has my email because of recent rebates I have participated in.

..........Widder

Several people have posted this on different social media outlets, facebook etc.

might want them for your vintage war revolvers , but i actually bought the original vintage stuff to keep with mine , i dont shoot them at all because of time constraints but maybe if i did i might want some ???????

Any loading that replicates whatever was or is the military one will be popular.  Especially if you own a GI surplus gun chambered for it.   Some folks enjoy shooting the "correct" loading for their guns, even it can safely handle other more effective loadings.   Also, the "ball ammo" loadings tend to be less expensive, which can also increase the demand for them.

Archived