SASS Wire Forum

So your iPhone will go to war?

Over the past two years I have read all kinds of stories about the new Army rifle this, the new Army rifle that. They can’t seem to figure out what the hell they want. How much do you want to bet that two or three years from now we’ll be reading stories about the massive failure of the program and how they will have to continue relying on the “old M4s until the Army can come up with a new weapon”. 

As long as I've been around military weapons systems (since 1968), the criteria has been this: buy the most expensive, most complicated, least reliable and least effective system you can get. Ya don't need an apple rifle; you simply need one that works in all conditions and put a qualified rifleman behind it. All else is rubbish.

PF

This reminds me of the 1960s when NASA set out to design a new writing instrument for their Astronauts that can write at any angle, on any surface, at any temperature, and never leak, dry out or freeze. They came up with a pressurized ink pen that cost something like $20 each.

The Russians just used a pencil.

Archived