SASS Wire Forum

Another '73 whaaaaaaat?

Dantankerous

Upon disassembling and thoroughly cleaning my two '73's today I discovered this while reassembling the rifles.  The 1st picture shows the chamber area with the dust cover channel (?) above the extractor channel being bent way out of position.  See the metal slivers bent upward? The 2nd picture shows my 2nd '73 as it should be. Any idea what might have caused this and whether or not it will be problematic in the future?  Bend it back down and hope it stays or just carefully pop it out?

20190204_144945.jpg

20190204_145002.jpg

Dantakerous

I ain't sure what you're gonna do or how your rifle got this way but I thank you for posting this.

I am gonna check mine when I get home.

Waimea

The extractor slot in Rifle # 1 also shows it has been relieved to clearance the extractor.  I would also suggest looking at the extractor.  It may well be the wrong extractor.

Then ...... I would fix the damage to clearance for the dust cover.  Then I would replace the screw thru the dust cover :)

10 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The extractor slot in Rifle # 1 also shows it has been relieved to clearance the extractor.  I would also suggest looking at the extractor.  It may well be the wrong extractor.

Then ...... I would fix the damage to clearance for the dust cover.  Then I would replace the screw thru the dust cover :)

Before replacing the screw get the correct Brownells magnatip bit. 

Grind out the deformed metal, then check that your extractor nose has been properly profiled to fit into the recess into the barrel.  That small amount of bent metal has NO functional interference (other than to allow the dust cover to be fully closed - who needs to do that?) , but it also is the sign of a large nose on the current extractor that was not properly reduced to fit the rifle properly.  However, a large nose could be lifting off the rim of the case when case is fully in chamber, and that may lead to extraction problems later on or as you cycle the action faster.

Good luck, GJ

Perhaps caused by dirt under the extractor, causing it to sit higher in the bolt? An thus hitting this area? 

Archived