SASS Wire Forum

Georgia Arms...

Croc Holiday

When I first got into the game ~5 years ago I started with 2000 rounds purchased from GA Arms at the local gun show. That provided the seed brass for reloading. I'm still using that same brass plus I've bought a few hundred more. Yeah I know I need a LOT more. Nothing bad to say about GA Arms.

Now we have a local vendor that is a SASS competitor and a pretty darn good Cowgirl by the name of Scarlett Darlin who offers her own cast bullets, primers, powder, and their newest offering of loaded cowboy ammo. Her website is www.bulletsbyscarlett.com. 

Good luck and welcome to the fire.

Georgia Arms 38 special 125 gr has worked well for me.  I bought 500 rounds of 125 gr and 500 rounds of 158 gr and had no problems with either.  Both types have run well in my rifle and pistol.  I have kept some of the Georgia Arms 125 gr rounds for a pattern.  Spent brass has worked well also.

17 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Interesting.  Both my pistols and rifle are .357.  I didn't figure I'd have an issue with cycling since .38 is shorter.  Thoughts on this?

It depends on your rifle.  '92s and 94's have the most problems handling multiple lengths of ammo.  Sometimes, they like an OAL that's a bit longer than .38 and shorter than .357, (for reloaders, the Snakebite bullet is ideal.)   My Marlin wanted full-length .357s, then I changed out the carrier, and it feeds standard .38s, reliably, but not .357s.

Reproduction '73's and '66's are the most likely to feed .38s of various length reliably, that's because they changed the design of the original Winchester carrier block.  

19 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

That's what I have (73 Uberti).  It's worked fine with other .38 so far.  What flavor GA ammo did you get?  Maybe I'll nab that.

I got the 158 grn, but thats before I knew better! I would bet the 125 will serve you fine. worst case, it will certainly work in your pistols. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

When I started Cowboy shooting, I did exactly the same thing.  I bought 38 spl from Georgia Arms and Ammo at the gun shows until I was committed enough to justify my own reloading equipment.  Georgia Arms makes good stuff and I still use the ammo cans I got from them to store my own reloads.

What Mr. Badlands said.

On 1/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, Carolina Drifter said:

The only thing I'd note personally is though they are loaded within cowboy spec I found them to be a little on the hotter side  (and for reference we don't load super light with out cowboy loads). 

This has been my impression as well.

Ga arms is fine. However, any of the purchased ammo is too hot. Like 800 fps. The only way you can get ammo that will perform for you is to load it yourself. When you're starting out, you have to buy it. After you shoot some, you realize you can't pay the price. If you reload, you can reload for about 11c/round. You'll revoup that quickly if you're your're shooting a lot. SG is another topic. You can buy SG shells for close to what you can reload them for. However, if you reload, you can control the fps/recold much better than factory. Good luck!

Archived