SASS Wire Forum

Skb 200e with inertia trigger question

Bucky Buckskin

Length of Pull does not have any effect on an inertia trigger system on any make of shotgun

You can test the idea before doing any stock modification; just shoot the shotgun from the hip holding the gun with limp arms to minimize any resistance to recoil.  If the inertial connector switches to the second trigger without recoil being blocked, then you should be good to go.  I had an SKB that would not shift between barrels reliably with very light loads.  When I tested a new load for that gun, I did the hip firing test; if the gun switched to the second barrel in that test, it never failed in a match.

The other extreme, in which the gun does not move at all, such as being locked in a vise, will also prevent the inertial connector from moving but that it difficult to achieve when firing from the shoulder.  The gun has to recoil a little bit  to make that little connector swing into position for the second barrel.

The individual gun's sweet spot for any particular shell and technique is controlled by the connector spring strength, and that can be a bugger to work on.

23 hours ago, Mr w said:

Thanks for the responses my concern is that by putting a recoil pad designed to absorb recoil it could effect the trigger reset the pad is a limb saver pad. I am new to skb world. Thanks for all the help

Stock gun? If so it might make a difference especially if you are shooting reduced loads as well. The inertia spring in the block is lightened by most gunsmiths that do cowboy guns that if that's the case it shouldn't be an issue at all. 

My SKB would not shoot black powder rounds and reset with the inertial trigger.  It went to see Johnny Meadows and got the mechanical trigger and does very well now.

I was one of the people that said why spend an excessive amount of money on a shotgun.  All shot guns are 2 tubes welded side by side that latch on the stock end. Not a lot that can be done to make one better than the next.  Boy was I wrong, going from a pretty well worked over Baikal to the SKB Is like turning your headlights on.  No comparison.

Mechanical trigger is the way to go unless you tend to ride the trigger. If you do, the inertial trigger is the way to go. We have history to back this up.

Fast Eddie 's mechanical trigger conversion still leaves you the use of the select barrel function.

For SKBs, is there a difference in mechanical trigger system and the single spring touching block installed by many smiths (this I would think should be referred to as mechanical assist)?

+1 on Major Walker. My wife & I have 3 Fast Eddie mechanical trigger SKB's & 1 Inertia trigger. All of our mechanical trigger SG's still have the barrel option. The inertial trigger started out as a Fast Eddie mechanical trigger, but my wife had a problem in riding the trigger, so Eddie switched it back to an inertial trigger, which solved her problem. She has since gotten over her problem in riding the trigger & now shoots a 200e with mechanical trigger. The inertial trigger 100 is now her backup.

Archived