SASS Wire Forum

Presedential Honor Guard question

Bugler

Does anyone know how the Honor Guard detail and Bugler are selected for a Presidential funeral? President Bush was Navy, so does the Navy take the lead on this?
There are many qualified Navy buglers to sound TAPS, how is it decided that this person gets the nod for this detail?

I ask this because I am a real live Bugler and wanted to know....maybe no one knows...just wondering here in Montana.

Bugler

Some Bugler's now use an electronic device inside the bugle.   They don't play it, they just turn it

on and off.

As for the Prez, they probably use a real Bugler.

From watching a recent history channel, there are teams already established as honor guards

and my guess is that whichever team is on duty today got the nod.

It will be interesting to read more of these post and hopefully, someone will give us the real scoop.

..........Widder

Trumpet or bugle, the term bugler still fits:blush:

On the subject of the electronic "bugles", the sound just isn't quite the same as a live instrument. they also have a tendency to fail at the most inopportune moments. Done correctly, a live horn will send chills up your spine:blush:

There was a real bugler at my brother in law's funeral two years ago at a Veteran's cemetery. Yes it was a REAL bugle and he played it. There wasn't a dry eye in the crowd!:FlagAm:

While the Washington Military District oversees the many protocols involved in state funerals for U.S. presidents, it is important to remember that the president, his spouse and other family members ultimately determine which specific rites, rituals and services and ceremonies feature in the eventual state funeral for each U.S. president.

After extensive research I could not uncover the answer; however,

here is the closest documentation I could find.

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/p1_1.pdf

915186464_StateOfficialandMilitaryFunerals.thumb.JPG.204b4c7031c5d080e7bebee0e549a1dd.JPG

AND

https://www.everycrsreport.com/files/20180302_R45121_8cb0fc108edb46516ec560fd7ff54546e440e57b.pdf

1603046184_PresidentialFuneralsandBurials-SelectedResources.thumb.JPG.6411e47ac2b483c3add6d8f99313190c.JPG

Below is the person chosen to play TAPS.

1824214050_Musician1stClassJohnL.J.Armstrong.JPG.0361ae8b542d6fbffc43a44747ea91fb.JPG

Musician 1st Class John L.J. Armstrong

...and more about him here:

https://wcyb.com/news/local/nashville-native-to-have-honor-of-performing-taps-at-george-hw-bush-funeral-12-04-2018

1 hour ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Trumpet or bugle, the term bugler still fits:blush:

On the subject of the electronic "bugles", the sound just isn't quite the same as a live instrument. they also have a tendency to fail at the most inopportune moments. Done correctly, a live horn will send chills up your spine:blush:

Always has, always will.

Archived