SASS Wire Forum

And now, the REST of the story.........

Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494

:ph34r:  My companion of 54 years, aka Goode Bascomb, broke her hip on the first main match stage we shot at this year's Eldorado Nevada State championship.  Analysis tells us her new boots, which are wider than what she's used to (accommodating thick cushioned socks and custom orthotics which help chronic nerve pain) caused a trip over the corner of the mine shaft façade on stage 11.  Fell onto holstered left pistol, breaking femur just below ball end.

The immediate and appropriate response from posse members and others was more than appreciated.  We hadn't been together as a posse long enough to learn names, but special thanks to Rattler (I still want to add "John") for his calm and professional assistance and for Creeker telling EMT's to go to the best hospital in the valley.

The scorekeeper and one of the non-shooting ladies assisted me in loading up both of our gun carts and gear, programmed my smart phone (it's smarter than I am...) with hospital info, and a pard offered to go with me (he could tell I was probably in more shock than my wife).  I said, "No, you stay and shoot".  His reply, "That's not important if you need the help."

Long story shortened----lots of morphine, fentanyl and anti-nausea drugs until surgery next day at 11:30.  Out of surgery at 1:45, eating dinner in room at 5:00.  Total replacement by apparently the ace of hip Dr's in the area, and excellent care from staff at St. Rose/Sienna hospital.

Up with walker on Sunday, and walking 100 yards morning and afternoon on Monday.  Drove home Monday night after being discharged at 7pm. 

Doing well at home; lots of family, SASS club and church support.

And yes, we did enjoy the match, what there was of it for us......

I appreciate Ace of Hearts and the other Eldorado board/club members discussing the factors involved in dealing with these kinds of occurrences.  A look at the numbers in the 'advanced' age-based categories tells us it's only prudent to be prepared for medical emergencies.

Sorry to have added another gray hair or two to Charming.........;)

We are so happy to hear the update on Goode.  And it is reassuring to hear that the care you received at the hospital was able to treat Goode appropriately.

The family of Eldorado shooters thoughts and prayers are with you both and they will continue for a complete recovery.

If desire and recovery allows; the Board of the Eldorado Cowboys would like to extend an invitation for you to return to Eldorado 2019. 

The shoots for both Goode and yourself will be comped by the board. 

:ph34r:  We feel greatly blessed to be associated with such wonderful people who make up the SASS family.  Good thoughts and prayers greatly appreciated, and their effects have been felt by us both throughout this adventure.  Prayer is the strongest medicine you can get without a prescription.

We appreciate the kindness of Eldorado Cowboys, and if they'll have us, we'll be baaaaack......

And Lumpy, you know Rugers can't be hurt......^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Bad Bascomb, it was my honor to be able to help Goode at that time. She is such a sweet lady and it about killed me to see her in so much pain.

I hope she continues to get better and I really look forward to seeing the both of you at El Dorado next year.

:ph34r:  Thanks to all for the continuing good thoughts.  Goode has been doing the exercises suggested by the hospital when she was discharged, and getting around the house with the aid of a walker.  Ice packs are a constant companion, and occasional  aspirin deals with discomforts.  Most of her time has been spent dealing with insurance and disability bureaucracy .  Last two days she started using a cane more and the walker less.

Our daughter came down from Seattle to help with meals, laundry, showering, etc. for the first 2 weeks, and stayed so I could go to Western Divisional:).

She had to leave 2 days ago, and I've been busy with all the domestic duties......  I think Goode's motivated to recover as soon as possible to escape my cooking.

Today was first day for rehab therapy, and they were impressed at her progress at 3 weeks post injury.

We were very blessed by the presence of Rattler and his expertise, and Creeker's intervention to suggest the best hospital.  I had no idea;  when the EMT asked "Where do you want her taken?" I could only stammer, "Uuhhh,.... a hospital?":blink:

Give thanks for the ability to enjoy our chosen activity as we do, and to do it with such wonderful people.

My :wub: and best wishes for a swift recovery for Goode.

Did I tell you about the time I had pneumonia and a ruptured ear drum? Hubby cooked a pork chop for the cat and didn't even ask me if I was hungry. So, tell Goode that, at least, you are cooking for her. ;)

On 10/26/2018 at 9:37 PM, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Thanks to all for the continuing good thoughts.  Goode has been doing the exercises suggested by the hospital when she was discharged, and getting around the house with the aid of a walker.  Ice packs are a constant companion, and occasional  aspirin deals with discomforts.  Most of her time has been spent dealing with insurance and disability bureaucracy .  Last two days she started using a cane more and the walker less.

Our daughter came down from Seattle to help with meals, laundry, showering, etc. for the first 2 weeks, and stayed so I could go to Western Divisional:).

She had to leave 2 days ago, and I've been busy with all the domestic duties......  I think Goode's motivated to recover as soon as possible to escape my cooking.

Today was first day for rehab therapy, and they were impressed at her progress at 3 weeks post injury.

We were very blessed by the presence of Rattler and his expertise, and Creeker's intervention to suggest the best hospital.  I had no idea;  when the EMT asked "Where do you want her taken?" I could only stammer, "Uuhhh,.... a hospital?":blink:

Give thanks for the ability to enjoy our chosen activity as we do, and to do it with such wonderful people.

We are very pleased to hear the progress of Goode and JaxT.  

You always think you are ready and when something happens; you sometimes discover you are less prepared than you should be.

A lot of people chipped in that day and the outcomes were better than we had any right to hope for. 

We did our best; but I assure you, we will be better prepared and equipped next time.

Training, equipment and communication were all discussed and new ideas will be implemented asap.

As for the hospital direction...

The nice folks at the St. Rose Siena and St. Rose San Martin campuses have put me back together a couple times.

I had no doubt they would provide the same level care for Goode.  

Archived