SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Query

Smoky Pistols

14 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey Yusta,

I was thinking the same thing when I posted my comment..... :lol:

..........Widderm

Just tryin' to help out    :D

- Pump and lever action shotguns are allowed to load no more than two live rounds at a time in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description.  In team events, shotguns may be loaded to their maximum magazine capacity.

SHB p.26

The answer is simple; if you want to load more than two at a time you need to be shooting in another category. Which means you are not competing with those that only load two. So your not shooting in the match your shooting at...

In order to shoot a particular stage, you must follow the stage requirements.

In order to shoot SASS, you must shoot the guns (and other stuff) you agreed to when signing up for that shooting category.

I had surgery on the arm and shot two matches Josie Wails (all pistols duelist). I cleared it with both match directors when I arrived. I scored at the bottom of the match standings (so no one complained I was shooting out of category), but I had a blast and pulled off some great stages. Main thing, I got to participate!

View being able to shoot a pump at all as consideration to shooters that don't have a SxS or just want to shoot their preferred SG. After all, these SG's were around in the 1800's. But if you want to play the game, do as the game was laid out.

A matter of safety; when you decide to load 5 or 6 rounds and you have 4 knockdowns, how do we know your SG is safe to be walking around to the un-load table at the end of stage? Where are the extra shells to be removed, and how? Somewhere they have to draw the line.

There are side matches to do what you want to do...

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, Shooting Bull said:

I think you'd need to be shooting in another organization. ;)

Way to make a guy feel welcome!  HEHEHE

On 8/1/2018 at 8:44 AM, Smoky Pistols said:

Before I get to my question, let me post the following disclaimer:

I am not trying to change any of the existing rules or firearms requirements.  I don't want to start a new category, or change any procedures.  My request is purely informational.

That being said, why is it that we don't come to the firing line with shells pre-loaded in the shotgun magazine?  We load everything else at the loading table and bring it to the starting position, so why not the shotgun?  I mean, the pump action guns were designed to operate that way.  Not being completely up on firearm history and exact period correctness, but are we trying to replicate a certain era of shotgun development, or is this just a standard that was set when CAS was originally started?  Or is it an attempt to keep the playing field level between those shooting pumps and those who choose to shoot side by sides?  If that is indeed the case, then why do we allow side by side and lever action users to load two shells while the pump action shooter has to load one at a time? Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind it?  Just curious for my own sake.

Yes, it is to simply level the playing field.  And... there is no rule disallowing the loading of two on the clock.  In fact... it was common practice up till about 1989 or 1990.  I don't recall if it was Tequila or Evil Roy that first thought outside the box, and started the loading over the top into the chamber as the 1st shell was ejected.  The single occasion I used a '97 in competition (thanks for nuttin' Buck D. Law)... I loaded the 1st round in the chamber, racked the action closed and then shoved the second shell into the mag.  

17 hours ago, Griff said:

Yes, it is to simply level the playing field.  And... there is no rule disallowing the loading of two on the clock.  In fact... it was common practice up till about 1989 or 1990.  I don't recall if it was Tequila or Evil Roy that first thought outside the box, and started the loading over the top into the chamber as the 1st shell was ejected.  The single occasion I used a '97 in competition (thanks for nuttin' Buck D. Law)... I loaded the 1st round in the chamber, racked the action closed and then shoved the second shell into the mag.  

Thank you, Griff.  Nothing like getting it from someone who was actually there when it occurred.

Archived